Aric, Engineer
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

This is more of a sound system question but it is all hooked

Customer Question

This is more of a sound system question but it is all hooked to the television so I'll give it a shot. We have an Onkyo receiver with surround sound speakers. The center channel works MOST of time but on some of the settings the dialogue comes through very low volume and muffled. The center channel is turned up all the way relative to the other speakers. The center channel works fine on some settings and it always works with music. The only time we have a problem is playing movies with dialog, on certain settings. Can you help?
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.
What is the model number of the Onkyo? What are you connecting through the receiver? What is the model number off the back of the TV? Please elaborate with detail so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Onkyo TXSR608DVD, TV, X-BOX, Roku, PCVizio E470VA
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.
Please let me know if the center channel issue occurs with- The DVD. The Xbox. The PC.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It varies on different settings on the receiver, no matter what item the sound is coming through (roku, dvd, etc.).Center channel does not put out loud enough sound on Dolby PLII Movie Theater Dimensional, PLII Movie, DTS Neo:6 Cinema, Dolby PLII Movie DHX Cinema, DTS Neo:6, Dolby PLII Movie TV Logic.
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.
This will depend on how the sound is being retrieved on the receiver- as some settings will not be accessible when using DD decoded sources. So, I need to know specifically, hoe these sources are connected to the receiver, and are you observing the format when the sound changes?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It's all HDMI. On the Onkyo controller there are different listening modes: Movie/TV, Music, Game, THX. The only listening mode that gives trouble is the Movie/TV mode, on the settings mentioned above.
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.
Okay, not sure if you know this- but those settings you mentioned above are not digitally decoded settings. Meaning when you connect via HDMI, the receiver auto-decodes dolby digital sources so those settings you mentioned- you would not want to use. You're trying to access simulated surround modes, while using a properly decoded surround source. Let me know if you understand what I'm saying.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
So, should we be using a different connecting method?
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.
No, you should be not using any of those simulated sound settings. You do not want to switch the sound settings when using HDMI. Let the receiver naturally decode the audio as it is designed to do. Those other settings are used when stereo sources are connected and you want to simulate a surround sound from them. Unless you're saying you had center sound on these settings in the past- in which case you could try a reset? Let me know.
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.
If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. You can follow up at any time if needed.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't remember them working differently before.I guess what I am trying to achieve is optimal listening settings for music or movies. I generally listen to tv/movies in "all channel stereo". However, "movie theater dimensional" sounds a lot better, except for the fact that dialogue is not being played acceptably through the center channel. I usually listen to music through, "all channel stereo" or "stereo". Stereo is fine for music. Vocals come through the towers just fine.So for movies, I just assumed I would want to select an appropriate setting for whatever the dvd is recorded in? Not true, I guess.