ITPeter
ITPeter, Engineer
Experience:  Electronic Engineer
30970729

I was just given a gift of a Bang and Olufsen beogram 1800

Customer Question

I was just given a gift of a Bang and Olufsen beogram 1800 turntable. I wired it to my amp, put a record on and hit the play button. The tonearm cued up properly laid the needle on the first track of the record and started playing. All was well with the world. Then I tarted having issues with the tonearm. I would hit the play button and the tonearm would move over to the first track, descend to the starting grove and then skip off the record dropping the needle onto the deck next to the record. It was intermittent at first, but now it happens every time I hit play. Any advice?
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Steve G. replied 7 months ago.
Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way. I need to gather some more information from you in order to help. Would you say that the arm is coming down too close to the edge of the record and then slipping off? There is an adjustment we can make to bring the arm down a little further in.Let me know. Steve
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i dont think so but will check tomorrow when i have access to the turntable. it seems to make a sharp jump to the side
Expert:  Steve G. replied 7 months ago.
Ok. I'm going to provide a link to the service manual. You can download it. In it are adjustments for how far in the arm comes down. Play with the adjustments and let me know how you get on.I'll be around for most of tomorrow.You can download the manual from THIS PAGE. I'll be here.Steve
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Steve,
I had already downloaded both the owner's and service manuals prior to contacting you. I had already adjusted the tonearm "float"/weight adjustments to no avail. The needle makes firm contact with the record. I am very hesitant to just start making other adjustments willy nilly for fear of introducing more problems than I have.
Pat
Expert:  Steve G. replied 7 months ago.
Ok, I was not aware that you had made those adjustments.That's all I have I'm afraid.I am going to opt out of this question which will allow other B&O experts to chime in. Hold on.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 7 months ago.
Hi my name is***** am sorry to hear you are having this problem. Have you tried changing the needle/stylus itself yet?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No. A B&O needle is at least a $400 investment and it seems a bit steep to pay as a troubleshooting step before exhausting other options. It was working fine for about 30 minutes after turning things on then it went south. Another step that I just did was to manually prop up the whole unit at about a 30 degree angle to encourage the stylus in the direction of the center of the turntable. When I hit Play, the needle cued over the first track, lowered and then moved outward (against the gravity that the 30 degree angle caused) and dropped off the edge of the record and down onto the base of the unit. I seems it is a mechanical action causing the tonearm to move off the record.
Pat
I apologize but I need to opt out and open this to all experts.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
k
Expert:  ITPeter replied 7 months ago.
Hi Pat,Has the deck been serviced recently?A buildup of old hardened grease on the mechanism can cause the movements to behave peculiarly. Any old hard grease will need to be removed and replaced with soft fresh grease.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks - I'll give it a go... it will take a little while as I will have to dissemble the unit to check.
Expert:  ITPeter replied 7 months ago.
No problem, take your time and you can reply back here at any time...Pete.
Expert:  ITPeter replied 7 months ago.
Hi, just checking in on your question. How did things work out for you?