Aric, Engineer
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a Pioneer A/V Receiver, VSX-1021-K. I get no sound,

Customer Question

I have a Pioneer A/V Receiver, VSX-1021-K. I get no sound, I just get a flashing code,
UE 22. Does that need to be taken to a service center to is there a fix I can do at home?
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.
Hello, According to Pioneer UE22 indicates a Firmware failure in the unit, but in most cases we've seen this error code points to a fault in the solder joints on the DSP processor chip inside of the receiver itself. That is the most common fault in Pioneer receivers that display the UE22 error code. The processor chip sits on the center of the mainboard and is an IC with dozens of tiny legs that seat it to the board. It also generates lots of heat (and should have been heat sunk by Pioneer to cure this issue). The common fix is to blow a heat gun directly over the top of the chip about 8 inches away for 40 seconds then see if the receiver stays on. This heats up the solder joints which become cold and can allow them reconnection to the board. I'm not sure if that is something you're comfortable with, or if you've tried updating the Firmware yet at this point, but those are the causes of the UE22 error. Let me know if you need clarification of anything and we can proceed. Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.
If you have not already, the easiest attempt at a fix is the firmware update which require a USB thumb drive. You can follow the steps below to try to update the firmware: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/ephox/StaticFiles/PUSA/Files/VSX-1021_50_51/ver1-151-081-111-073/VSX1021_50_51_FWupdate_USB.pdf
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.
If the update does not cure this, or does not load completely, then the processor chip on the mainboard would need to be heated up as indicated above to re-flow the solder joints. If you need further assistance with that let me know. Alternative if this is not something you're comfortable with you can locate a Pioneer repair shop using the link below: https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/portal/site/PUSA/template.LOCATOR_MAXIMIZE/v4-where-to-buy-nav-item/?javax.portlet.tpst=be52d673d760c90094dab3f552768a0c_ws_MX&javax.portlet.prp_be52d673d760c90094dab3f552768a0c_viewID=ascview&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&vgnextoid=35233d3c95b3b210VgnVCM1000003367a8c0RCRD
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.
If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. You can follow up at any time if needed.