Rusty
Rusty, Engineer
Experience:  Let my expertise help solve your technical problems. Over 20 years electronics and sound equipment experience.
63817454

Cannot get digital audio to work on my AVR-1600. I have Samsung

Customer Question

Cannot get digital audio to work on my AVR-1600. I have Samsung SUHD 8500 and Direct TV satellite service.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Rusty replied 8 months ago.
Hello, my name is Rusty. I'm working on this, give me a few minutes to look up specifics. What is the label where you plugged in the optical cable to your Denon, and which source are you trying to use it with?
Expert:  Rusty replied 8 months ago.
Never mind on the input, I see it now. Just a few more minutes.
Expert:  Rusty replied 8 months ago.
Ok, here's what is going on. Input mode switches between DTS and PCM, so that's not the button you need. Press menu, go to input setup, and select INPUT ASSIGN (DIGITAL). We're going to assign the digital input to that source. Set Sat/Cbl to OPT 1, make sure the cable is plugged into OPT 1, and you should be good to go. Let me know if you have any trouble.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
There is no menu button on the unit, only menu guide button on remote
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
There is a INPUT MODE BUTTON NEXT TO DSP SIMUILATION BUT IT DOES NOTHING WHEN PRESSED.
Expert:  Rusty replied 8 months ago.
That's not the right one. Stand by, I was looking at a slightly newer model, but it works the same way. I'll get you the specific instructions.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
RUSTY, ARE YOU STILL THERE?
Expert:  Rusty replied 8 months ago.
Ok, thanks for your patience. The only documentation I could pull up was a copy. I'm typing your instructions now.
Expert:  Rusty replied 8 months ago.
It was also sideways so it took a bit to read.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
OK, YES, THIS IS AN OLDER UNIT, BUT IN PERFECT CONDITION. I HAD IT PACKED AWAY FROM THE KIDS FOR YEARS
Expert:  Rusty replied 8 months ago.
Press tv to switch to the cable box. Press input mode, then dolby surround, then mode. Set your slide switch to AUDIO. Press surround, then next. Press surround repeatedly until you see OFF, then press next to switch to optical. Click here to see your manual. It has pictures to guide you through. Pages 10-12 are what I'm looking at, 10 gets you to the menu, and 12 has the setting you need to get to. Let me know if you need help.