Louie, Technician
Experience:  Have been in the business 25+ yrs., down to component level.

Aric, we just tried plugging our Stanton turntable into our

Customer Question

Hey Aric, we just tried plugging our Stanton turntable into our soundbar using the standard RCA jacks but have no sound coming out..! Seems pretty straight forward, what could be wrong?
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

Hello Katie, could you please tell me the Brand and Model of the soundbar?

Also, is the switch on the back of the turntable set to "Line"?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Stanton, Model T120c and yes switch is set to "line"...
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

I have the model of the turntable- I was asking about the "Soundbar"?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry, Nakamichi and model NK12
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

Okay, not able to find a manual on that unit, but all soundbars have the ability to change the Inputs. So if you were watching TV before and through the optical or digital Input, then you may need to remove that cable and find a button on the Nakamichi remote labeled "Input" or "Source". Can you find that button on the Nak remote?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The soundbar remote has four choices, TV-HDMI, AUX, Line-In and OPT. We actually tried them all with no success!
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

That doesn't make any sense. The turntable works- you already tried it on the Yamaha, it's set to LINE- which is just like any other line level signal. You would select EITHER Line In or Aux on the soundbar. Make sure the soundbar volume is raised up. Make sure the switch on the turntable is set to line and not phono, and not in the middle. Switch it to phono then back to Line. If that's not working then you have a fault in the soundbar's input switching (since we know the turntable works) or have faulty cabling (which wouldn't make sense if you used them on the Yamaha)?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Checking now...
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

Okay, sounds good and let me know.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok, volume on soundbar is maxed out on source "Aux 1" and we can barely hear album...
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

MUTE the soundbar for a second, then switch the switch on the back of the turntable from whatever it is on now, to the other setting. Then un-mute the soundbar.

Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

If that doesn't work then try the "Line In" setting on the soundbar.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no change... i'm puzzled..?!
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

I'm puzzled as well, this simply doesn't line up. When the turntable's switch is set to LINE it acts as any other "line level" device- CD player, DVD, cable box, MP3, etc. etc.

Where/how was the TV connected to the soundbar, using what Input?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
RCA jacks
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

Try taking those same cables into the same inputs and plug them directly into the turntable and raise the volume.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Not sure what you're asking?
Expert:  Louie replied 6 months ago.

Hi Katie and welcome back to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, have you checked/replaced the RCA connecting cables?

Expert:  Louie replied 6 months ago.

Still, proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done):

• • plug in a pair of RCA-to-RCA cable at the back of the Nakamichi NK12 RCA jacks labeled AUX L & R;
  • • set NK12 to AUX with the volume raised;
  • • lightly touched the other/free end of the RCA-to-RCA cable at the tip of the RCA plug;
  • • there should be an audible thump/humming sound from the NK12 speakers:
  • • if no, then either the cable or the NBK12 has an issue. Replace the RCA-to-RCA cable first;
  • • if yes, then the RCA-to-RCA cable + NK12 are functional thus eliminated as a suspect.;
  • • plug these then to the Stanton T.120's OUTPUT jacks;
  • • the turntable's music should now be heard from the Nakamichi speakers;
  • • if no, then the Stanton T.120 has an issue. Ensure PH/LINE is set to LINE;
  • • exercise the PH/LINE switch a number of times.