Louie, Technician
Experience:  Have been in the business 25+ yrs., down to component level.

I have a Panasonic SA-XR50 receiver and I can't get the 5.1

Customer Question

I have a Panasonic SA-XR50 receiver and I can't get the 5.1 channel analog inputs to play surround through the receiver.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Home Theater Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: It is as I wrote.
JA: Is there anything else the Home Theater Technician should be aware of?
Customer: No
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Home Theater Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

Hello and sorry you're having problems.

What is the make/model of the SACD player connected to the Panasonic?

Also, do you have anything plugged into the DVD Optical port on the receiver?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Pioneer DV-563A. It plays DVD-A, SACD, etc. There is no DVD optical port; there is a DVR optical port (separate input) with something plugged in. There is no coaxial input plugged in to compete w/the 5.1 channel analog in. I have switched the connections around and I know there is center and surround audio coming from the disc player. The receiver is just not putting it through to the surround channels. Surround works with their inputs and modes and with the volume test setup.
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

What I am asking is this- is there an optical cable plugged specifically into the "DVD" optical port (they are labeled) on the back of the receiver? Reason being is optical take priority over the multi-channel RCA Inputs and something plugged in there would disable these Inputs. Let me know.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No, not the DVDs optical port. There are only DVR and TV optical inputs on the back. But they are assignable to other modalities.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
They are not assigned to the DVD input
Expert:  Louie replied 7 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done):

• • temporarily remove any/all digital input connections particularly to the DVD input jacks/ports;
  • • perform a RESET.

All others would point to a potential internal hardware issue.