Aric, Engineer
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I own a Denon AVR 3311 CL. I am using it with a Sanyo

Customer Question

I own a Denon AVR 3311 CL. I am using it with a Sanyo projector. It is four years old. I can turn it on now, it works perfect for 20 to 30 minutes, then it stops putting out video or audio.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

Hello, and sorry you're having problems.

What is the primary source of AV signal on the Denon that it's playing audio from and also sending video to the projector from?

How long of an HDMI cable are we talking about from receiver to projector?

Also, how do you restore AV on the Denon- power cycling?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It will play audio and video from my Apple TV, my Amazon Prime, and Cable box all perfectly for 20 minutes then it will play none of them. Cable to projector is 16 feet long but it has worked with this cable for 4 yerars.I try doing a factory reset but that did not help.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
After it stops working, I have to wait for several hours for it to work again.
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

Thanks. Even a cable that's worked just fine for years and years can still cause this. HDMI is digital and prone to intermittent failure in cables even if they've never been touched. I'm not saying this is the problem, but the other culprit is the receiver's Mainboard itself is having a hard time driving this cable, but you also said audio drops out too. Offhand this is an overheating problem with the processor of the Denon. Have you tried performing a reset of the processor on the Denon yet? That's about the only use level fix for this, and otherwise the Denon requires service. Let me know.

Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

Have you performed a reset of the processor? Do you need instructions on how to do this?

Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

Try performing a reset of the processor as outlined on page 116 of the manual below:

http://assets.denon.com/documentmaster/us/avr-3311ci-om-e_006.pdf

I understand it takes 20-30 minutes for this to occur again, but dgo ahead and run it for a while and see if it does.

Now, another thing to check, if it's just the video you're losing OR if the projector uses ARC to send audio back to the receiver (still all runs through that same HDMI cable), then as a TEST try moving the receiver closer to the projector or vise versa and use a shorter HDMI cable. If the issue doesn't happen then consider getting an HDMI repeater and installing at the 8 foot point where the signal is likely down by 3 db and dropping out. The Denon uses a repeater which refreshes the HDMI signal and it is not as strong as the native signal from the APple TV direct to projector.

If the issue goes beyond that then the receiver's mainboard (where all of the HDMI processing occurs) is overheating and causing this issue in which case the receiver would require repairs through Denon or replacement.

You can locate a Denon repair facility at the link below in that case:

https://usa.denon.com/us/support/servicecentersearch

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.