Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  35+ years as audio/video repair and installation tech.
39158752

I have a Pioneer Elite AV Receiver that I am connecting to a

Customer Question

I have a Pioneer Elite AV Receiver that I am connecting to a audio technical AT-LP 1240 DJ turntable. I am am getting a lot of background noise thru the receiver/ speakers. Can you give me some frequent issues so I can try to fix.
Philip
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Hi , I`m Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. thanks. What more information do you need
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Give me a minute to type this down and I`ll tell you why this doesn`t work and how to fix this

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Before I would call...just want to know if there is a simple answer to this. I think I must just be missing something simple
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

if you received a phone offer it was automated from the web site ,not from me and we won`t need it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. Thanks
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

The signal coming from the turntable is too low for line level inputs beside the fact that it needs to be corrected (riaa correction)

What you need is a small preamp between the turntable and receiver .

Something like this at this link ; http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-PP400-BEHRINGER-MICROPHONO/dp/B000H2BC4E

Or this ; http://www.ebay.ca/itm/like/291699682318?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=116&chn=ps

Radio shack may have that as well

Finally , if your turntable has a ground wire beside the rca/phono connector then make sure to ground it on the receiver .

If that answers your question please do not forget to rate by clicking on the star icons at the top, then click on Submit so i get paid for my time helping you .
Also note that it will not close this post , you can come back here at any time if you have questions.
Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will get the pre amp.
As for the ground wire...it does have on the turntable...but I do not see a place to connect to on the receiver.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

You can loosen a top cover screw and attach it there

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Any screws on the back panel will do and look around the tuner antenna inputs , usually there is one there

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Any more questions on this ?

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

If you don`t have any more questions for now then please do take the time to rate my answer by clicking on the star icons at the top, then click on Submit , this is how I make a living and that rating gets me paid for my time.
Thanks for understanding .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. Thank. There is a pre amp in the turntable. So I tried the grounding and it did work. Now I am seeing why only one of the speaker works. So I am changing the speaker wire.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you feel that I should still get another pre amp?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Do you have to crank up the volume to hear anything ?

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k then I just looked up this turntable and indeed it has a built-in preamp which is something new .

Never mind the other preamp then , it says "line level"

I will opt out and repost your question

You don`t have to do anything , your question will be reposted for other techs. to see and jump in.
DO NOT rate or it will hinder the repost .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I am a different expert. Yes this model does have an RIAA correction amplifier (phono stage), so does not need an external preamp. You will need to ground as Jack stated above which I believe you said works. As far as only one speaker working, move the turntable RCA cables left to right (meaning switch their position), and see if the other speaker works then. This isolates whether the Input or output connections are the root cause. If the same speaker is working when the Input RCA cables are swapped around- then it's a speaker wiring issue.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. You can follow up at any time if needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I am good. When I connect my I phone...both speakers works. This means the sound from the turntable is coming out in mono Vs stereo.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay good to hear! Please do not forget to click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts.

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Sorry Aric but I just misread the last reply from Philip before opting out .

Philip , your turntable is stereo and even if it was mono you`d still have sound out of both channels

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Check your leads coming out of the turntable for a break and also directly at the cartridge .

That shell comes out , pull it out and check its wiring

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

What you are doing righ now by setting the amp to mono is sending the one turntable lead that work to both channels of the amp .

So now you are listening to only one side of a stereo signal through both speakers , you could have missing sounds !