Rusty, Engineer
Experience:  Let my expertise help solve your technical problems. Over 20 years electronics and sound equipment experience.

I and trying to resurrect and the mate two Bose speaker

Customer Question

Hi Daniel
I and trying to resurrect and the mate two Bose speaker systems; then
enable this concoction to receive digital signal from our Cable provider.
The object is to have great sound and visuals for opera, Neflix, as well as the occasional sports event.
The old system is a pair of Bose 901's with cloth speakers (I got this back in the late 1960's and lucked out in that the speakers were not paper).
The newer system is a Bose Lifestyle 30
They both work well and sound good, but I'd like to combine them. To that end I bought a Bose SA3-2 amp and controller, hoping to treat the 901's with the active equalizer as a separate speaker (which would be on the circuit used for a speaker on the patio etc.) I never could get the two speakers systems to connect, even analog.
I have postponed buying a large screen TV to see which would be recommended
Need help.
What to do?
Is there a way a consultant could get this
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Rusty replied 7 months ago.

Hello, my name is Rusty. I'm a sound engineer, I've taken a look at your system specs. You have all of the equipment to do what you want to do, but keep in mind that Bose standalone systems like the Lifestyle 30 are not made to be upgraded. We'll have to connect each one separately.

That being said, your Lifestyle system has an optical input which we will use. Your Bose amp has an analog RCA input, which we will use. This will be limited to one device, unless we add a preamp. Basically you will connect your cable box optical output to the Lifestyle system, and connect the RCA audio outputs to your Bose amp to feed your 901s.

How many devices do you plan on connecting to this system? We may need to get you an optical switch and a few RCA combiner connectors to get this working with all of your devices.