Steve G., Master Technician
Experience:  Audio Video System design and repair.
329447

Beoplay A8 will not connect to internet. It's been working

Customer Question

Beoplay A8 will not connect to internet. It's been working for two years and then the indicator light just starting flashing red. Beolit 12 sitting next to it has no problem connecting to wifi.
I've unplugged, and tried to reset it and nothing seems to work. Just flashes red.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Steve G. replied 8 months ago.

Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

Let's try some basic things first.

Find your WiFi router and unplug it for one minute. Then plug it back in and wait an additional minute.

Then try and connect your A8 and let me know what happens.

I'll be here.

Steve

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Router has a back up battery in it
Expert:  Steve G. replied 8 months ago.

Ok, it should still be able to be powered on and off. If you are unsure, give me the make and model of the router and I'll see how to do it.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I don't see how to turn it off. Cisco dpq3212
Expert:  Steve G. replied 8 months ago.

That's your cable modem. That is not your WiFi router.

Expert:  Steve G. replied 8 months ago.

your router will be a similar device maybe standing upright, with a small antenna.

Expert:  Steve G. replied 8 months ago.

Were you able to find that and reset it?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Unplugged it and plugged it back in. Hit the connect button on a8. It tries to
connect and then returns to flashing red
Expert:  Steve G. replied 8 months ago.

Ok. The A8 gets it's WiFi info from a cell phone. If the A8 has lost it's WiFi info, you need to go through that procedure again so that the A8 can learn the correct connection credentials.

Do you know how to do that? If not, I can probably find a video. Do you have an Android or iOS phone?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I've done that. You just dock your phone and hit the connect button. We had a hard time getting it set up initially and my wife end up getting it to work via Ethernet port and her Mac book. I tried it with my vaio and no luck. Actually the vaio didnt even show it in the device folder.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 8 months ago.

Well, you dock the phone, hit the connect button and then you will get a pop up on the phone asking if you are permitting the sharing of WiFi info.

Did you see that?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I didn't get the pop up. The dock on it is for a iPhone 4. I have 5. Kids have 4's. I will try again when they get home this afternoon and let you know.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 8 months ago.

Ok. Yes, the iPhone will get a pop up asking you to share the WiFi credentials with the A8. You would click "Allow" and then you would wait about 30 seconds. The small LED will blink and then you will here a quick tone from the A8 and the LED will become solid.

I'll be here.

Steve

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks Steve!
Expert:  Steve G. replied 8 months ago.

HI again. Were you able to try it with an iPhone that fits the cradle?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It won't pop up the request to give it access. Found instructions on resetting factory settings. Tried that 3 times and it won't reset.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 8 months ago.

That's odd. I'm not sure what is going on there. I am going to opt out of this question which will allow other audio experts to chime in. Hopefully one of them will be able to help.

Hold on.