Louie, Technician
Experience:  Have been in the business 25+ yrs., down to component level.

Marantz SR5005 A/V Receiver. Two of the HDMI inputs no

Customer Question

Marantz SR5005 A/V Receiver. Two of the HDMI inputs no longer work. Why? And how can I fix this? I've tried resetting the SR5005 but this made no differrence.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The other two work fine and originally the other two did too. First one failed, and then sometime later so did a second one. I think the failures may have occurred when I was making and breaking connections with the power on.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Louie replied 7 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, the described symptom almost always point to an internal hardware issue.

Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter and even a soldering iron?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
to both.
Expert:  Louie replied 7 months ago.

Great on the DIY!

For starters, can you try re-soldering (if have not been done) the HDMI pins particularly "...Two of the HDMI inputs..." ?

Please click HERE.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm not familiar with "HDMI pins" but I gather that pins (connectors) come out the back of an HDMI socket and connect into the PCB. Is it these connections that should be re-soldered? But why would these have failed?
Expert:  Louie replied 7 months ago.

The re-soldering would be a preliminary step both as an attempt of a fix and as a test by process of elimination or even just to rule these pin solders are a potential suspect.

Thereafter voltage checks would have to be made after the connections have passed re-soldering/checks.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
OK, but I won't be able to do this until later, perhaps not until tomorrow. Then can I email you back with the results?
Expert:  Louie replied 7 months ago.

I understand.

And yes please; when able.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Another HDMI input is now not working...that makes 3 out of 4!
Anyway, I have now opened up the case and I can see the HDMI pins OK, but they're soldered on the underside of the PCB which I can't get access to without serious dismantling. What's more, there are far too many pins and they're far too small for me to seriously consider re-soldering them one by one, so I can't do this. However, I have applied a dry soldering iron tip to the pins on the top side of the PCB for a few seconds hoping that the heat might re-make any loose joints, but it has made no difference.
So...what now?
Expert:  Louie replied 6 months ago.

For these type of soldering requirements, a hot air solder station is preferably used. Something like the product shown HERE.

And yes, the PCB (printed circuit board) would have to be dismantled/removed to gain access to the trace /solder side.

Would you need dis-assembly instructions?

Another potential suspect to check would be failed capacitors.

Incidentally, are both audio and video non functional if using the above HDMI ports?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No audio or video - just nothing! Although I think that one of them initially had intermittent audio with no video, but it's certainly completely dead now.
I don't want to buy another soldering iron/station and I'm not keen on dismantling the device and working on such small (tiny!) connections, and presumably replacing capacitors would require this too?
Expert:  Louie replied 6 months ago.

Yes, the SMD (surface mounted devices) capacitors would have to be de-soldered to enable checking out-of-circuit and soldering it back in or its replacement.

I realize that the above information may perhaps be not what was expected. Unfortunately, there is no quick-n-easy fix and neither is there a workaround; sorry for having to be the bearer of bad news.