Aric, Engineer
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I hope someone has some help should be a simple solution

Customer Question

Hi...I hope someone has some help for what should be a simple solution that I cannot get a handle on. I have a Yamaha RX-V775 av receiver coupled to a Samsung Series 6 model H 6350 tv. When I first set it all up I could play Pandora just fine but after a power loss awhile ago when I select Pandora I get the correct display but all I hear is the sound from a television program. I have not changed any settings and for the life of me the tv manual and receiver manual is not a lot of help. I'm at the age where at 4pm I've already forgotten what I had for breakfast, but I am not a total loss and can work around these things. It's just that this problem has me baffled. I greatly appreciate your time and expertise. Thank you.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

Hello and sorry you're having problems. If you turn the Yamaha's volume down, when playing Pandora, do the TV's speaker play the Pandora programming?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Aric...we are playing all sound thru the receiver. The tv speakers are biased out because of how the two units are wired together.
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

I realize that, I was checking to see if the power glitch caused something to turn the TV speakers back on. Can you check that please?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I can...please hold for a moment.
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

No problem. This is just a basic check, so we can proceed.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you...this computer is located in an adjacent room but I have someone here that will operate the unit for me while we work this problem.
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

No problem. Let me know if the TV speakers still play on Pandora.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Pandora is up and running but no sound. Receiver is off.
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

Receiver needs to be ON volume down please.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Fyi, Pandora works fine on this computer so we know that service is working. The audio settings on the tv is set to audio out. OK...just found out that the tv speakers are now playing Pandora...but...the receiver is still playing whatever audio is playing on the tv channel.
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

Okay, if the TV's speakers are playing Pandora, then the audio settings are not set to audio out. Are you saying you actually verified it is STILL set to audio out?

Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

In the Samsung, if you go to MENU---->Audio/Sound---->TV speakers, and verify the TV speakers are not selected then we can proceed. We may need to perform full factory reboots of both the TV and the receiver- as a power loss can completely botch the processors on these devices. Let me know.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
When we change the tv audio settings to 'audio out'...we lose Pandora's sound but the rec'r is still playing the sound from the tv channel. When we change the tv audio setting to 'tv speakers' we have BOTH playing...Pandora from the tv itself and the tv channel from the rec'r speakers.
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

I need the model number off of the back of the TV at this point- can you get that? Or if not, are you familiar enough with the set to go into it's MENU and "Reset to Factory Defaults"?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The tv model is UN40H6350AFXZA...and yes, we can get to the tv menu..
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

To Reset to Factory Defaults? Please try that first, then go back into Audio settings and select Audio Out. Test the system after those steps. If that doesn't work then we'll move to resetting the Yamaha.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ok...please standby.
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

Please only reply once you've tried the steps with the results. Otherwise the question keeps getting sent to my que telling me to respond. I am here.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Tv has been reset to Factory Defaults. Pandora is playing music thru the tv speakers but the rec'r is still playing a tv channel's audio.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Before this problem arose we would get all audio thru the rec'r multi-speaker setup.
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

I understand- I've read everything posted here. You now need to go back into the TV's settings and select external audio, THEN we need to reset the Yamaha. Power Glitches can cause all sorts of issues. Please finish those steps shut the TV speakers off and reply back.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
on the tv menu, we highlight 'sound' but do not see external audio as an option.
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

What are the options please?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Menu: Picture;Sound;Network;Smarthub;System;Support. In Sound: the highlighted options are: Sound Mode; Sound Effect; Speaker Settings; Add'l settings; Reset Sound.
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

Click on "Speaker settings".

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ok, that option gives me 'audio out' or 'tv speakers'. we have selected 'audio out' as we did before. now, rec'r is listed but is grayed out so is not an option.
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

It's possible the receiver is not being "Seen" through the HDMI ARC port at this stage. Please click on the manual for the Yamaha at the link below, then scroll to pages 105 and 106 and follow the instructions to get into the "Setup MENU" and "Reset to defaults" (Init):

http://www.yamaha-hifi.ro/uploads/digital_uploads/Owner_manual_RX-V775_V675.pdf

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
We're on pg 105 and see advanced setup menu...do you want us to do that? On pg 106 do you wish us to proceed 'restoring the default settings (INIT)'?
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

Yes, that's what I posted just above your last reply.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok stand by please...may take a couple mins.
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

No problem.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok we did that. Still the same thing. TV channel audio through the stereo speakers. Only way to hear Pandora is to set the sound to 'TV speaker'. We are getting normal TV through the recv'r to the speakers.
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

Set the Yamaha to AV 4.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Done...
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

See if you can select receiver or at least shut off the TV speakers. Try all of the available options under "Speakers" in the TV. Let me know if any of them restore sound.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
We are getting Pandora audio through the TV speaker when selected. There is no sound at all when Audio out is selected and recv'r is still grayed out and not selectable.
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

Unfortunately this either means the power glitch caused a failure in the digital audio communication in the receiver, or possible the HDMI cable has lost it's audio return function. Can you tell me- has anybody moved ANY cables at all (even from one HDMI port to another) since the power loss?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Nothing has been moved or changed. HDMI cables are only about 6 months old and top of the line.
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

The age and being top of the line isn't relevant. I've seen $300 cables fail and $10 cables last for years. Anyhow, there's not much else that could have caused this besides the power failure being a catalyst for failure between the two devices. I need you to check one thing- what HDMI port is the one from the Yamaha plugged into on the TV? I need the number of the port and also to know if it's labeled "ARC".

Additionally, I need to know if there are ANY other cables between the TV and the receiver (Optical, RCA, etc.).

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Checking...stand by please.
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

Okay sounds good.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok, We only have 1 hdmi cable running from TV to Recv'r...from 'HDMI #2 ARC' on TV to 'HDMI #2 out' on recv'r.
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

I'm sorry but something came up and I need to leave the conversation. I will opt out and open the question up for other experts to assist.