Aric, Engineer
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Need to reset protection circuit on Yamaha RX-A2040BL AV

Customer Question

need to reset protection circuit on Yamaha RX-A2040BL AV receiver
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Home Theater Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Wired speakers incorrectly (LOL). Unit tried to start three times and now only standby mode light flashes when trying to start. Apparently, protection circuit has been activated.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Home Theater Technician should know?
Customer: i
JA: Our top Home Theater Technician is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Home Theater Technician in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Home Theater Technician until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Hello and sorry you're having problems.

To "remove" the protection circuitry the short circuit condition must be removed and the receiver unplugged and plugged back into power. There isn't a setting or adjustment that clears protection- if it's still up then the speaker outputs shorted internally.

So, can you please tell me the following:

1) Does the display actually show "Protect"- or is the red light stuck on with no display?

2) Have you unplugged the receiver and plugged it back in?

3) Have you tried REMOVING the speaker wires altogether and seeing if the unit powers up?

Please elaborate and we can proceed.

Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.