Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

My Rotel RSP-980 intermittently either looses treble on

Customer Question

Hi, my Rotel RSP-980 intermittently either looses treble on either or both sides or developes static. I am thinking bad solderpoint? Thank you
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
actually it is more distortion than static on the treble.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 9 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Checking the solder joints and points would be a good first thing to do.

But depending on what the distortion is, it might be this or that. Give me a slightly better description and I will advise you further as appropriate.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Russell, the distortions sounds similar to what you get when an FM radio station that is not quite tuned in on your car stereo.
less frequently it sounds like the treble is missing completely similar to when an AM radio station is not tuned in completely.
It usually occurs after switching on the pre-amp but can also occur during playback.
It seem less frequent when leaving the amp powered on and idle when not in use but that might be subjective.
It drives a Rotel RB-985 power amp.
I will try to record the distortion when it occurs next.

Is the Rotel actually used to tune in AM radio ? or to tune in any sort of broadcast or cable signal, for TV or radio ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Russel, no it is only connected via line in to a computer for music playback. There are no satellite receivers or radio receivers connected and none in the house that could cause any interference. I only used the radio as an anolgy of how the distortion sounds.

I see.

Whatever the nature of the distortion, it isn't sourced or caused by an input source of the radio type. So it seem the distortion is *in* the Rotel.

I would say the Rotel needs electronics repair servicing.

(How old is this Rotel device? measured from date of purchase.)