Rusty
Rusty, Engineer
Experience:  Let my expertise help solve your technical problems. Over 20 years electronics and sound equipment experience.
63817454

Having a problem hooking up sony ht ct380 soundbar to a

Customer Question

Having a problem hooking up sony ht ct380 soundbar to a sharp aquos lc 80ue30u.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 9 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer.

Sorry for the delay and thank you for your patience. My name is Michael. I will be helping you with your question today.

Please let me know if there as any additional information that you think might be pertinent to your question. If I don't hear back from you, I'll provide the best answer I can based on the information you've given so far. You will still be able to reply with additional information or questions at any point during our conversation, and I'll revise the my answer accordingly.

Expert:  ITPeter replied 9 months ago.

Hi there,

In the Audio Out settings, be sure to select "External Devices".

Let me know if that helps?

Pete.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
f it was only that easy. I have tried every setting on the thing. When hooked up with hdmi 1 to arc on the sound bar, the volumes are linked on the dound bar and tv. I want sound coming out of the sound bar only. If you hook it up with the optic cable only, then the sound is dull. Havinf it on maximum volume sounds like it is on volume 5. If i hook up my phone to the bt setting, it will rattle the walls.
Expert:  Rusty replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is Rusty. Optical cables carry Dolby, or PCM signals. When a soundbar is set to Dolby, it's likely not playing all of the sounds. Set your TV to output PCM in your optical audio output setting. It's likely set to bitstream, which isn't the right one, you want PCM. That's what is going to give you the right mix. BT on your phone is also PCM.

If you use ARC, you'll have to turn down the volume on your and use the soundbar's volume control.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have used both pcm and bitstream options. Both optic cable and hdmi arc options. Spent 4 hours on the phone with both companies and still have not resolved the problem. Finally have it set to where the tv volume and soundbar volume are not linked together, but it still sounds like crap. When hooked up to bluetooth on my phone i can't turn the volume up past 35 without the neighbors calling the cops for sound disturbance. When playing ps4 hooked up on hdmi2 it sounds just ok on volume 65. Not even close to bluetooth. When on cable hdmi3 it sounds the worst. Even turned up to 85 or 90 on soundbar. I replaced all hdmi cables with high speed 4k. I guess i am just stuck with sub par sound.
Expert:  Rusty replied 9 months ago.

Does your cable box have a volume control? I'm a sound engineer by trade, and if you don't have proper gain structure, it sounds horrible. On your cable remote, see if you can adjust the volume of the cable box. If it is outputting low, the soundbar is amplifying the low signal. When it does that, it is also amplifying the lack of signal, resulting in a weak sound.

If you are using the optical cable, also turn up the volume on your TV. Your bluetooth on your phone is turned up, we need to make sure the cable TV signal is turned up as well. This is done at your cable box and TV.