Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands
59725966

I have two issues with my Denon AVR-1506 receiver. The first

Customer Question

I have two issues with my Denon AVR-1506 receiver. The first is that I cannot get the subwoofer to work. The second is that the device seems stuck in "Analog' mode. Not sure if these are related.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Rusty replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is Rusty. While I work on this question, did the subwoofer make noise during the Denon set up?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It did not. I did try using the Test Tone functionality during set-up. All of the speakers had a "static" sound but nothing from the SW. I did, however, get the SW to make a sound when I tried plugging in the RCA jack... a good loud "thump" as I would expect from the SW
Expert:  Rusty replied 9 months ago.

Ok, and where do you have it connected now? Are your components connected with red/white RCA cables?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The SW has a single RCA connection from the receiver. The SW itself, has a left/right RCA connection. I currently have it connected to the left. I have tried connecting to the right connection previously... no change
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I found an article online that states that I should connect to the left RCA if using only one connection
Expert:  Rusty replied 9 months ago.

Where do you have it plugged in? Subwoofer pre out?

I also need to know if you're using RCA cables or optical cables for your components.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
sorry... yes, the SW is connected to the "SW Out" on the receiver. I'm using RCA cables, no optical
Expert:  Rusty replied 9 months ago.

Well that solves the analog "problem", it's actually not a problem at all. You are connected with analog cables, so you are using the analog signal.

For the sub, plug it into the front L pre out. Be sure you're not connected to ext in. Tell me if you're getting any signal from the front L output.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
not sure what you mean by the L -pre out... can you elaborate?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok... found the pre-out connections on the back of the receiver...
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
besides the one for the SW, I have ones for DVD, TV/DBS, VCR, and Monitor... nothing for Front L
Expert:  Rusty replied 9 months ago.

Sorry, I was looking at a similar model with pre outs. The subwoofer output is black, at the top center of the back.

The fact that you heard a pop when you plugged it in concerns me. That's not supposed to happen unless you touch the center pin to the outer shield. I think you may have a bad subwoofer output.

Go to your setup menu, and go to speaker setup. Set your front speakers to small, and make sure subwoofer is set to yes. Tell me if you find anything.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok... I am connected to the SW output on the receiver. To clarify, the "pop" or "thump" was when I connected the RCA cable to the back of the SW, not the receiver. Checking set-up now
Expert:  Rusty replied 9 months ago.

Standing by...

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Confirmed speakers are set to small and SW to Yes
Expert:  Rusty replied 9 months ago.

It doesn't matter which end made the sound, when the last connector goes on, that's continuity. I think your subwoofer port may be dead. Let's try a reset.

Hold speaker A and speaker B, then turn the power on. When the display starts flashing, release the buttons. Tell me if that makes any difference.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Completed the reset and went through the set up again. Had to change the speakers to small but everything else seemed ok. Still nothing from the SW. Could it be anything related to the SW "Mode" (Norm vs. +Main) or "Cross over Freq"
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Running through the set-up again, the last configuration is "Ext. In" which is set to "SW+15dB"... does this mean anything?
Expert:  Rusty replied 9 months ago.

Hi, sorry for the delay. The crossover freq is just the point where it adjusts how much high end goes to the sub. SW +15 means that it's 15 notches of volume above 0. Subwoofer mode may have a positive affect, switch between Norm and +main, and see if either gives you sub.

If you're not getting sub on the setup test tones, then your subwoofer port is out. You can connect it to your cable box, click here. This will split the one RCA into two, so you can feed your cbl input, as well as the sub.

Expert:  Rusty replied 9 months ago.

I just thought of something... Plug your cable box into your SW EXT IN. Plug the white one in. Does that make your sub work?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm confused as to how my cable box plays into this solution. If I understand you correctly, you want me to connect the audio of my cable box into the SW Ext In port of the receiver and then connect my SW to the Audio Out of my cable box. Is this correct?
Expert:  Rusty replied 9 months ago.

The signal comes from your cable box, that is the reason.

Connect the output of your cable box to SW EXT IN, and your sub to the sub output on your receiver, and tell me if your sub works.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
That did not seem to work. I appreciate your help Rusty but at this time I'm giving up. This is more frustrating that I am willing/able to deal with at this time.
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Alex.

If you don't mind putting a few more moments into this, I believe there is another option that may help you here.

Go into your denon settings under manual setup/speaker setup, and set the front left/right speakers to be SMALL instead of Large.