John Peeler
John Peeler,
Experience:  Owner/President at Sight and Sound Home Theater
90537315

A denon avr3310ci sound issue, I installed an amazon fire

Customer Question

Hi, a denon avr3310ci sound issue
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I installed an amazon fire stick into PS3 hDMI port which worked fine but when I switch back to TV I only get video but no sound
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Electronics Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

When you say you switch back to tv, do you mean a cable/satellite box, or apps on the tv? How is the tv connected currently?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Everything is hooked up to the receiver, I use my remote control to access the receiver menu to switch between using fire stick or to watch TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

I understand that, but when you are switching to "TV" input mode, what is the source device for that?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The fire stick is HDMI5 and the TV is HDMI monitor, it doesn't have a number assigned to it, it just says monitor
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
When the fire stick is in use the display on the receiver shows that speakers are in use. When I switch to TV, the speakers are not shown. The speakers are not assigned when in TV mode.
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

If you're only using the hdmi connection and nothing else from the tv (such as optical) then the issue is a hdcp connection issue, the tv isn't recognizing the denon.
Go into the tv setup and make sure hdmi control (cec, anynet, etc) is turned on, and under the audio make sure the internal speakers are turned off or set to external/theater

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
even though the only thing I have connected from the TV is an HDMI cord, I still have to go through the TV menue?
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Well you need to have the proper settings on the tv menu for it to know to output signal to the denon

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Why is the TV working with the fire stick
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Because the stick is connected directly to the denon.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok, I have find the remote for the tv to access the TV menu
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

ok

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Trying to make changes, but I don't have any speakers that are hooked up to the TV
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What does the TV have to do with sound?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
There are no such settings on the TV menu, under sound it doesn't give an option to turn off sound. The hdmi setting only says auto, and color 1,2,and 3.
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.
When you watch tv what is the source of the content?
Did this work through the Denon previously via the same connections?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Fyi, when I first installed the fire stick it said something about it would not work unless the Dolby Plus was turned off. When I installed it I pressed the dolby on the remote and the fire stick worked.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm not gonna pay $18.00 to talk, if you call me then I will talk, as long as there is no charge to me
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

The call is an additional fee, if you don't want that then we would continue here.

I've asked 3 times now: what is the source of the tv content.

If you are not able to supply complete details to me, then I cannot provide you with accurate instructions to resolve the issue.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Nothing changed as far as the hdmi connection from the receiver to the TV, the only change to the receiver was when I installed the fire stick I removed the PS3 hdmi cable and installed the fire stick in its place, that's it. NO changes were made to the hdmi cable that connects the receiver to the TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

I am not asking about the cord from the receiver to the tv.

I am asking you what is the source of the content when you are watching "tv". Do you use an antenna? Cable/satellite box? Apps on a smart tv?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Nothing changed as far as the hdmi connection from the receiver to the TV, the only change to the receiver was when I installed the fire stick I removed the PS3 hdmi cable and installed the fire stick in its place, that's it. NO changes were made to the hdmi cable that connects the receiver to the TV . Please explain your question in a different way
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you - your original question is phased such that the fire tv works fine (audio/video both), but when you go to "tv" then you get a picture with no sound. Is that correct? If so, what are you watching when you refer to "tv"?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have direct TV if that is the source you are referring to.
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Yes that is what I've been trying to find out.

Where is that connected?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
To the receiver
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Okay, that is an important distinction from what you were eluding to previously.

With that type of connection, you wouldn't be putting the denon on the tv input mode you'd be putting it on cbl/sat typically.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Are taking about the cable from the cable box or the hdmi cable
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

If you have hdmi from the box to the denon (presumably connected to hdmi3 on denon), then you should be setting the denon to the cbl/sat mode NOT to tv mode.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
That's not the way is set up, there is no hdmi cable in the cable/sat hdmi port. I have had this setup since 2010 with no issues until the fire stick was installed
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The hdmi port that the TV uses is Monitor
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

So where is the satellite box connected then?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
There is a digital audio plug and three plugs from the cable box called component out going good to the receiver ports called Dr R 3
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Okay good, now we're actually getting somewhere.

You need to use the input mode button on the denon remote (while set to TV as the source) and get it to the OPTICAL input mode (not hdmi).

Is there a reason though that you aren't using the hdmi connection for the cable box?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
While in TV source it is set to opt 1
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I didn't set this up an installer did back in 2010
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.
Do you actually see opt or dig on the front panel while in tv mode?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I just plugged in a home cable that I have into the cable box to the receivers cable hdmi and it gave me an error message. It says "your TV does not support this program content protection replacing the tvs hdmi cable with component cables will allow you to view the program
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I only can see opt or dig while using remote to access the menu
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
While in the TV input setup under digital it says opt 3
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

And that is correct, but exit out of the menu, set to TV mode, then on the back side of the denon remote press the INPUT MODE button until you see opt/dig in the display

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What should it be set at?
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

It should be set on DIG. If you have it on hdmi, or auto, it isn't going to work.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK got that set but still no sound. I don't understand why I did all that when none of those settings where changed in the first place
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Because I have no way of knowing what you changed, either purposely or inadvertently, when you set up the fire stick.

Have you rechecked the connections? Are you certain you didn't disconnect the optical cable when you set the fire stick up?

Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Tell me everything you see on the front panel of the receiver, when in tv mode

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The only hardware change i made was replacing where i had the PS3 cable in the receiver, and plugging in the fire stick in its place. The other change was when the fire stick gave a message saying something about Dolby Plus, so i pressed the Dolby button remote and the fire stick worked fine...Direct TV content is not channeling throgh the receiver and out to speakers.
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

I understand all of that, and I'm trying to help you get the audio back, but again I rely on you to provide complete and accurate information to do so.

Again, please tell me everything you see on the front panel of the denon, when in tv mode.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
In very small print in says DIG, then in bigger print below that TV STEREO, audyssey,mult EQ, dynamic EQ then FL and FR
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Okay, so having it on the stereo mode may be the issue.

There is no "dolby" button, so I'm not sure exactly what you pushed, but try hitting the STANDARD button (behind the door on the front of the denon, top right corner) and see if that changes anything.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Should I be in TV mode or dvr
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

TV, if that is where you've had it connected previously.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Dvr is where the video comes through. I tried pressing the standard button and that didn't work..
I notice when Im using the fire stick fire, the front of the display will show what speakers are being used, but when I switch to TV mode which is actually in the dvr setting then those speakers dispear because they are not being used.
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

You still would need to be on the tv input mode if that is where your audio is connected. If it was getting a signal (and you may have to test multiple surround modes such as the game or cinema ones) then those speaker indicators would come on as well.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
There are the smaller plugs that are coming from the cable box (don't know what they are called) into the receiver In the DVR section then there's the coax cable coming from the cable box to the receiver, I'm sure that's where the sound is coming from
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Well coax is not the same as optical.

I'm sorry but we are not communicating effectively here and I'm getting to much conflicting information to be able to assist you.

I'll need to opt out at this point, which opens the question up to other experts. They'll be able to see our prior conversation. Do not rate or reply back, as either will return you to me and prevent someone else from helping. Best of luck to you.

Expert:  John Peeler replied 9 months ago.

Hi there, I’m Scott, I have owned a home theater installation business for 10 years now. I see you’re asking about a home electronics issue – I think I can help you, as I have over 20 years of experience in this area and have spent much time troubleshooting similar systems.

I looked back on the previous emails regarding your issues. Are you still trying to resolve this, or have you found the solution.

If you would like to continue working with this, can you list all of the cables that come from the Direct TV box, and where they go and what that port is labled?

Also, I see references to TV and DVR. What input have you traditionally been putting the receiver on when watching "TV" or the direct TV box?