Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Field. Master Certified Electronics Tech and Technical Consultant
23511658

My Pioneer vsx820 just completely quit after only a year in

Customer Question

My Pioneer vsx820 just completely quit after only a year in operation. What could I look for?
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 9 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer.

Sorry for the delay and thank you for your patience. My name is Michael. I will be helping you with your question today.

Please let me know if there as any additional information that you think might be pertinent to your question. If I don't hear back from you, I'll provide the best answer I can based on the information you've given so far. You will still be able to reply with additional information or questions at any point during our conversation, and I'll revise the my answer accordingly.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I can't think of anything other than it simply quit working. No funny smells, no burned components, and I don't see a fuse anywhere.

It sounds like you have had it for more than a year, but just want to be sure of that. Pioneer home theater products have a full one year warranty on parts and labor - many manufacturers offer 90 day warranties, so I want to make sure you are aware of that.

And I agree with you - if something burned out on a receiver it would typically leave you with some kind of smell. They runn pretty hot inside.

It is possilbe that it is in protect mode. I know you probably haven't changed anything recently, but it's worth checking. This will happen if something caused excess power on a circuit - the most common something being a short. And the most common type of short that causes this is when a strand of speaker wire from one speaker terminal touches another speaker wire or terminal. Sometimes it's very difficult to tell by looking, so I usually disconnect all the speakers and then try turning the unit on. That will rule that either in or out. Also, if it is in protect mode for some other reason, you sometimes have to leave it uplugged from everything - main power and inputs - for a few hours, then plug it in again. Those are a couple of things for starters.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I did unplug all connections, and let it sit for several hours, but nothing when I plugged it back in and tried to energize it again. And, I've had it for over a year, but it hasn't worked for the last 10 months, and I'm finally trying to address the problem.

I see. If you are getting nothing at all, it would seem that the power supply has failed completely. If it's going into protect mode, you would get some glimpse of life before it shuts off.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm having trouble negotiating this thing. If I 'continue' on a line of questions, do I have to pay more? All I would like is where to take a voltage measurement to verify the power supply is faulty. I would need a schematic or a picture of the circuit board maybe to do this.

No. No extra charge for replies. But when you have a moment, please do rate my level of service. That is how I am credited for helping. It will not affect our ability to communicate.

I've uploaded the service manual for you. Here is a link to it.

http://www.brainchamber.com/download/pioneer-vsx-820-k-vsx-520-k-service-manual/