Louie, Technician
Experience:  Have been in the business 25+ yrs., down to component level.
13948492

This is ***** *****. My NAD C256bee amplifier (about a year

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, this is ***** *****. My NAD C256bee amplifier (about a year old) has suddenly lost most volume on one side (right side for the purposes of this discussion). There are three source inputs, and three outputs -- two sets of speakers plus headphones. The problem persists regardless of source and across all outputs. I tried switching one input, L/R, but the right speaker is still very weak.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Last night the right speakers seemed to have about 25% of the volume of the left speakers. This morning it's more like 5%-- barely audible.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi Fred and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, bear with us; re-confirm and post back with the complete model number of the NAD.

Still, the described symptom almost always point to an internal hardware issue. Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter and even perhaps a soldering iron?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No way am I going to do this myself.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

I understand.

The description of "...lost most volume on one side..." may be as simple as am erring control such as the volume or balance where cleaning may be attempted using compressed air or better yet, plastic safe / non-staining DeoxIT DN5 or LPS 03116 Contact Cleaner or equivalent to clean the insides but allow sufficient drying time

...or

a failing 'right' channel amp circuit that would need parts replacement.

Either of the above would require that the unit be opened up for visual inspection, even voltage/continuity/resistance checks, confirm faults and effect repairs.

I realize that the above information may perhaps be not what was expected. Unfortunately, there is no quick-n-easy fix and neither is there a workaround; sorry for having to be the bearer of bad news.

Should you be uncomfortable with a DIY, perhaps your best bet would then be to consult with and/or seek the services of an independent repair shop / qualified professional.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I bought it from one of those rare local shops that actually repairs equipment.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Great Fred!

Good luck and thank you too for the opportunity to be able to exchange information.