Aric, Engineer
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

We had someone mess with our tv, trying to turn on our

Customer Question

We had someone mess with our tv, trying to turn on our Pandora via net/usb on our zone 2, and messed it up. Now instead of net/usb it shows a.vox. I tried to turn channel 2 on and select net/usb but nothing happens. How can I fix this, so that I may reselect net/usb?
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

What is the Brand and Model Number of the receiver in question please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Denion avr 4311
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Looking this unit up now.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Please unplug the receiver from power, then plug it back in.

Then press "On/Standby" while simultaneously pressing "Standard" and "DSP Simulation" using the buttons on the front of the receiver.

The display will then start blinking every three seconds- then release the Standard and DSP buttons.

This resets the processor of the unit.

Let me know if it operates normally after this.

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Doing it now
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay sounds good.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is still authenticating
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Alright, any changes yet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Zone 2 is still not working
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now when I try to turn zone 2 on by the old method, nothing happens. When I turn zone 3 on, it turns on.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately this sounds like a processor glitch in the Denon. I would try the reset one more time in the hopes that it clears the issue. Let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No change
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I'm not sure why selecting Zone 3 selects Zone 2, but the reset you just performed clears all settings on the receiver and puts it back to factory defaults. In other words it clears any accidental buttons which may have been pressed, so if that doesn't work then there's nothing else on a user level that would as far as receiver settings. Are you using some sort of external amplifier for the other zones?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Zone 2 and zone three go to speakers in other parts of our house. The crazy thing is that the main zone and zone 3 work. It is just zone 2 that will not turn on via the remote.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

What source is connected to Zone 2 that you're trying to access- cable box, SAT box, etc.?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Are you still with me here?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still here. The receiver is connected to. Dish box.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Reboot the DISH box by unplugging it and plugging it back in. Once it reboots check the Zone 2 and let me know if that works.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It did not work
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a way to physically reprogram zone 2?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Yes, scroll to page 63 to see how to assign the additional SURR speaker jacks to Zone 2:

http://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/ImageBank/v20111011084900/Manuals/033/033AV4311C.PDF

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This link would not open
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

It opens fine from here. Google your AVR model number and Crutchfield will show up- then click "Details" and clic the link to the manual.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Or try again here. These are just basic PDF's and should be able to be opened by any computer (or you have some sort of pop-up blocker installed but I would not be privy to that):

http://assets.denon.com/documentmaster/us/avr-4311ci-om-e_108.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have denon's owners Manuel. What page are these instructions on?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Page 63

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That does not address my problem. I'll try to do a better job: my remote will turn on net/usb by pressing/selecting zone main or zone 3. Nothing happens when you press net/usb when pressing zone 2. What I would like to accomplish is that zone 2 works just the way the main and zone 3 works on my remote. I hope this makes more sense.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Well here's the thing- those steps on 63 are how you assign the speakers to zone 2, we already reset the processor, and you still cannot get zone 2. There's nothing else in the receiver that can be changed to fix this. If you're following those instructions and still not able to get zone 2, then the receiver has issues internally and requires service.