Aric, Engineer
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

We purchased a Bang and Olufsen stereo approx. 40 years ago

Customer Question

We purchased a Bang and Olufsen stereo approx. 40 years ago and have loved and used it daily since then. Lately, when we turn it on, it will play for about a minute and then shuts off.
We have a Master Control Panel 5500. Can you help us and let us know if it can be repaired?
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

Hello, and sorry you're having problems. We are now connected on this website- which saves you money over having a Tech come to your home, and in many cases we can fix the problem you're having. In other cases, these things do require additional parts to fix. But I can help you with that as well.

If the system plays for about a minute and then shuts off, it's shutting off in a "protect" mode due to components being out of spec/failing due to age and heat (the enemy of all electronics).

There aren't any pushbutton fixes for this, as it typically entails replacement of components in the power supply circuit, but B&O systems are highly repairable and there are several shops that specialize in their vintage equipment.

I would suggest contacting one of the shops at the links below to see about sending the system to them and having it repaired and serviced:

http://www.sound-smith.com/services/general-repair-pricing

http://atlantic-systems.com/

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.