Louie, Technician
Experience:  Have been in the business 25+ yrs., down to component level.
13948492

I have a Yamaha RX-567 receiver. I have it hooked up to a

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, I have a Yamaha RX-567 receiver. I have it hooked up to a Sony VPL-VW60 video projector through the HDMI output on the Yamaha receiver. The video is working fine. But, I am not getting audio through the speakers connected to the receiver. I have tried using several input devices - for example, I hooked up a DVD player through its HDMI output to the receiver's HDMI-1 input. Good video for playing a DVD - but no audio. I tried hooking up my laptop to the HDMI-2 input on the receiver. Good video through the projector but no audio. I also tested the audio by, for example, hooking up the analog audio outputs of DVD to the Audio 1 inputs on the receiver and then configuring the HDMI-1 settings to get audio in from the Audio 1 inputs on the receiver. With that set up, I have sound and video. But, I don't want to have to use the analog audio outputs to get audio for a number of reasons - one of which is I want to be able to watch video and hear audio from my computer by hooking it up to an HDMI input on the receiver. My computer does not have a separate analog audio output so I don't have the option that I have with my DVD player. It seems like this should be simple and, really, should be the default - play the video on the projector and get audio on the speakers connected to the receiver. But, nope. Thanks for the help, ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: What other details do you want - I hoped my question was pretty complete.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Consumer Electronics Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: How long is "waiting a bit"? But I am happy to pay if I get an answer that solves my problem. So, sooner is better.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

Hello, The reason for this is the Yamaha ONLY produces sound when using HDMI , if the device has an HDMI "ARC" jack on it- which is the audio return channel. Your projector and most all other projectors, don't have this- TV's do. If you want the digital audio to return to the Yamaha then you need an HDMI audio extractor connected in line between the Yamaha's HDMI out and the projector. The extractor then gives you an optical output with which the sound will return to the receiver with.

If you need a link to that device, let me know and I will pull one up for you.

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK - what HDMI audio extractor do you recommend I buy?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Two more questions - I guess the HDMI audio extractor will have a connection that goes back to the receiver - which input on the receiver do I plug it into? And, in addition to buying the HDMI audio extractor, what cables do I need to buy to do this?
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

The one at the link below is one I've used several times with good results. You'll also need a short HDMI cable and a short optical cable. The HDMI out on the Yamaha goes to "In" on the extractor, then "Out" on the extractor goes to the projector. Optical plugs into the extractor's audio out then connects to the Yamaha.

http://www.parts-express.com/parts-express-hdmi-audio-extractor-with-toslink-and-lr-audio--180-995

Before doing that, try one thing.

Scroll to page 70 of the manual at the link below, and in STEP 3, check and see what it shows the "Audio Output" is set to. Does it say AMP?

http://static.highspeedbackbone.net/pdf/rx-v567_manual.pdf

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the output is set to AMP. I did check that.When you say " Optical plugs into the extractor's audio out then connects to the Yamaha" sorry to show my ignorance but what do you mean by "Optical plugs" and which connector do I plug this into on the Yamaha?
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

The Yamaha has a specific jacks that says "OPT" on it. You then need an optical cable- the extractor has the same jack. The cable is below:

http://www.parts-express.com/opti-glow-toslink-digital-audio-optical-cable-w--signal-indicator--6-ft--180-984

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The Yamaha, from my looking at it, has two jacks that say "Opt". So, I am not clear which one you are talking about when you say the Yamaha has an "Opt" jack. One is AV1 and one is AV4. Can you tell me which one you are referencing?Also, once I hook up these connections then do I have to do any configuring? I am guessing that I have to configure all of the HDMI inputs I am going to use for running through the projector to have audio through AV1 or AV4 depending on which Opt connection you are talking about. Correct?Sorry for all of the followup questions but I want to make sure I have all of the information so when I get all of the equipment bought I know exactly how to hook it up. Hopefully, this is my last question.
Expert:  Louie replied 10 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, a review / please confirm:

• • DVD player to Yamaha RX-V567's HDMI 1 (BD/DVD);
  • • Yamaha's HDMI OUT to Sony VPL-VW60's 1 HDMI (or 2);
  • • RX-V567 configured for HDMI Setup / Audio Output / Amp.

If still no sound, then it is no longer a setting issue but would point to a potential internal hardware concern particularly on the HDMI/digital audio processor.

The above posted extractor would then serve as a workaround and the extracted audio fed to the Yamaha's OPTICAL AV1 or AV4. An alternate propose approach though, connect the extractor between the computer and the Yamaha. And make do using analog audio connections for the DVD player (or Optical if available).

...or are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter and even a soldering iron?

Equally important, could you make use of the repair/Service Manual or at the very least, the schematic diagrams?