Aric, Engineer
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

We have a Samsung TV, Charter Cable Box and Yamaha Home

Customer Question

We have a Samsung TV, Charter Cable Box and Yamaha Home Theater System. The problem is even though we have the system hooked up to HDMI1, it defaults to HDMI2 every time we turn the TV on. Then when we switch it back manually with the TV remote, it kicks off after 15 minutes and we have to go through the whole thing again to get the TV back on. We want to use the universal remote (Harmony 650) but can't make it all come together.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and sorry you're having problems. We are now connected on this website- which saves you money over having a Tech come to your home, and in many cases we can fix the problem you're having.

In the setup software for the Harmony remote, you need to manually select that the TV be on HDMI 1 for your viewing (after you select the TV, the home theater brand and model and are running through the "Activity").

Also, if there is nothing connected to HDMI 2 on the TV, then the Samsung is designed to not allow that Input to be selected. If you're saying that the TV is automatically changing itself to HDMI 2- even if there's nothing plugged in there, and IF the Harmony software is telling the TV to go to HDMI 1- and the set is still changing the Input on it's own- this indicates a fault in the TV.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Please tell me the Model Number off of the back of the TV, as well as what specific cables are plugged into what ports on the back of the TV.

Additionally I will need to know the age of the set in order to proceed.

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.