Rusty
Rusty, Engineer
Experience:  Let my expertise help solve your technical problems. Over 20 years electronics and sound equipment experience.
63817454

I have a Yamaha RX V577 receiver. I have been using it a

Customer Question

I have a Yamaha RX V577 receiver. I have been using it for almost a year. However during the last six-eight months I have been experiencing trouble with the Out HDMI port. I would lose the TV picture. This was resolved by wiggling the end of the cable where it met the receiver. It gradually became more and more difficult to get the picture back until finally no picture appears at all. I've replace the HDMI cable and that does not work. THe cable functions properly when connected to the cable box and the TV. I assume the issue is internal to the receiver OUT port. Can you please provide recommendations on how to fix this?
Thank you Neal Rightley
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Rusty replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is Rusty. Sorry to hear you're having trouble, HDMI has 16 tiny connectors that can get bent out of shape. The fix would have been to replace the cable, but the wiggling seems to have damaged your HDMI output. The solution at this point, without having to go in for repair, is to connect your devices directly to your TV, and run the optical output from your TV to the receiver for audio. That will give you up to 7.1 surround. Let me know if you need help with that.