Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands
59725966

I just bought a LG 55 oled 4k 9500 and bose Soundtouch 130.

Customer Question

I just bought a LG 55 oled 4k 9500 and bose Soundtouch 130. The cables are all connected properly (everything connected by hdmi to the soundtouch and one hdmi cable from the soundtouch to the tv's dmi-arc connection) and everything works, except when I try to run Netflix or amazon prime. Then I get the Netflix or amazon video running with either the cable tv sound (whatever had been playing before I switched) or with no sound if I turn off the cablebox. I was able to get sound on an amazon prime movie but I had to hook the cablebox directly to the TV (not to the bose) and turn off the internal tv speakers. this wasn't a great perminant solution though because then the lg and bose remotes don't operate the tv nor is it easy to just have the tv play through its internal speakers, which are pretty good, when you don't want the full soundbar. How do I get the sound to come from the smart app sources with the remotes working and the TV's internal sound also working? Thanks.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

The setup you are wanting is outside the intended scope of use for this type of system. The bose is meant to be a replacement for the internal speakers, not something you toggle back and forth, so you can't really have it where you can easily switch between then and still have a limited number of remotes.

The ARC connection can work, but in reality does not work as well as it was designed for, especially when mixing brands. If you had an LG soundbar it would be a different situation.

The easiest option for you would be to keep things as they are now (for cable), and run a separate optical cable from the tv back to the bose.

You'd keep the bose set to the hdmi input (from cable) and the tv set to the hdmi input, for watching cable tv.

On apps, you'd flip the bose input over to optical when you want to use it, and mute the tv speakers. For using the tv speakers only, use the lg remote for volume and just turn the bose off.