Louie, Technician
Experience:  Have been in the business 25+ yrs., down to component level.
13948492

I have a harmon-kardon avr 110 receiver. The center speaker

Customer Question

I have a harmon-kardon avr 110 receiver. The center speaker and the rear surround speakers work fine, but the left and right front speakers have no sound. They used to. I doubt it is a connection issue as then likely only one or the other wouldn't work, not both.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, have you considered / tried a RESET ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did that, but I just tried it again and nothing changed. In fact another issue is that when I first turn the receiver on there is no sound out of any speaker. It only comes on when I cycle through the surround options.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

That a RESET was not corrective is very significant as it would be pointing towards an internal hardware issue.

If comfortably able and feel safe to do so, are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter and even a soldering iron?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am somewhat handy with fixing things and have both a multi-meter and a soldering iron, but it makes me a bit nervous to work on my receiver for fear of doing unintended damage.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

There were two (2) Service Bulletins that may be directly addressing your described symptom. These documents were provided to Service Technicians with description and illustrations + corrective instructions as part of the Service Manual.

Would electronic copies of these Service Bulletins serve your purpose please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Please click HERE. (limited time download link)

The Service Bulletins are in a Portable Document Format (PDF) file and can be viewed in most web browser. Click on the link to open the file or right click then select “Save As…” to download the file. It would require Adobe Acrobat Reader or equivalent for this purpose.