Rusty
Rusty, Engineer
Experience:  Let my expertise help solve your technical problems. Over 20 years electronics and sound equipment experience.
63817454

LG NB3530A soundbar won't connect to any remotes
, it's

Customer Question

Customer: LG NB3530A soundbar won't connect to any remotes
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: it's an on-and-off problem. The OEM remote only sometimes controls the sound. We thought the remote was bad so we bought a universal remote and that won't work. We paired it with our DirecTv remote but that only worked for a day. Wondering if I'm doing something wrong sound bar works fine just won't connect to a remote
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Home Theater-Stereo Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure I'll try to wait
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Customer: ok
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It seems like the soundbar has intermittent connectivity to remotes. There is nothing in the way that would be blocking the signal. The remotes all have fresh batteries. One remote is the original OEM remote, which works occasionally. The second remote is the DirecTv remote, which connected once but stopped after less than 24 hours. The third remote is a logitech harmony 350 remote, which is not connecting at all but says it's compatible and can find the soundbar.
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Rusty. It sounds like your remote sensor is going out, or there is too much light in the room for the remote sensor to see the remote command. Is it plugged into your dish box, or your TV? What is the model number of your TV?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's plugged into our TV. Samsung UN55D6000SF. It doesn't seem to matter whether we have lights on in the room or not
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you know where the sensor is on this soundbar?
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it's right inside the display window. Give me a couple of minutes, I think I have a work-around for you. I have to look up the specs of your TV.

Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

It's not in the manual, but this is a very common setting. In your TV menu, locate the audio menu. On the audio out settings, there is a setting for FIXED or VARIABLE. Sometimes it's labeled sound system, or something similar. Fixed sends full signal the entire time, for use with your soundbar volume control. The variable setting allows you to turn the volume on the soundbar up and down with the TV volume control.

You must have your soundbar connected to your TV in order for this feature to work. Let me know what you find. This will eliminate the need for volume control on the soundbar.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there's nothing like that in the menus. I have:
sound mode (greyed out)
sound effect (greyed out)
broadcast audio options (greyed out)
SPDIF output --->> Audio format PCM
Speaker settings (internal or external, set to external)
Reset soundThat's it...
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

Ok, so in your speaker settings, are there any more choices other than internal and external?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nope
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

Hmm, what about in any of the other menus? It's a very common setting, but it's not on all TVs. I'll take a look for a more detailed user manual to find the setting. To get your soundbar repaired would cost around $75, so I'm trying to save you some cash.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
looking through the menus....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you think that setting option would appear if I disconnected the soundbar? There's nothing in the TV menu anywhere, nor in the direct menus.
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

I found the large manual, and it does not appear to have that ability. That's a bummer, neither does your satellite box. You'll have to get it repaired. It has a 1 year warranty for parts and labor, but you'll be stuck with the bill if you've had it longer than that. Click here to see if it's still under warranty, and to start the repair process.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it's out of warranty for sure. when it was still under warranty LG told me it was a faulty remote and they didn't cover that. now it's out of warranty and clearly not a remote. Thanks for trying to help.
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

Be sure to tell them that when you go to get it repaired. That is their fault, I'd be a little bent out of shape over it if they did that to me. One more thing, unplug it for 1 full minute to allow the power to drain. This will give it a fresh start. Make sure nothing is in front of the soundbar, and that you have direct line of sight to the remote.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok will do. thanks.
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

They may even honor the warranty since they gave you the wrong information. Be sure to ask!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will do!
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

Any luck with the warranty?