Louie, Technician
Experience:  Have been in the business 25+ yrs., down to component level.
13948492

I just bought Denon AVRX2200 and connected via HDMI to my

Customer Question

I just bought Denon AVRX2200 and connected via HDMI to my Samsung SmartTV. I'm trying to play TV's audio thorugh Denon. With TV on, if I turn on Denon, sounds goes off the TV but I can't get it to play through the Denon. I've tried to follow directions with the Denon's video HDMI settings.
Any suggestions?
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Louie replied 11 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, bear with us; re-confirm and post back with the complete model number of the Samsung SmartTV.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Samsung 6950
Expert:  Louie replied 11 months ago.

Appreciate the additional information Mark.

Is the Samsung UN??HU6950 directly connected to an antenna or cable feed? ...or is there a cable box or satellite receiver used? If the latter, please describe how the cable box is connected to the TV using what kind of cable(s).

A review:

• • HDMI cable used is rated 1.4;
  • • from the Denon AVR-X2200's HDMI OUT MONITOR1 ARC to the Samsung UN??HU6950's HDMI IN ? (ARC);
  • • press TV AUDIO button on the Denon's remote.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Full model: UN40HU6950F. HDMI from the Samsung ARC out to the Denon HDMI ARC in. Pressing Main - TV Audio on remote does nothing. To repeat, TV sound OK from TV. When turn Denon on, TV sound mutes but no sound from Denon. Went through all the settings. Problem continues.
Expert:  Louie replied 11 months ago.

And is the HDMI cable rated for 1.4 please?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Twisted Veins HDMI. Box says Full HD 1980P, 3D ready, 4K resolution. Does that help?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
sorry, Full HD 1080P
Expert:  Louie replied 11 months ago.

Unfortunately no. The HDMI cable must be specifically rated for 1.4 otherwise the ARC (Audio Return Channel) feature would not work; i.e. the sound would not be fed back to the Denon from the Samsung.

Please click HERE to view HDMI 1.4 specifications and note Audio Return Channel description of function.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK, I just looked at the paperwork. It says Meets 1.4 Standard.
Expert:  Louie replied 11 months ago.

Thanks.

And is the TV directly connected to an antenna or cable feed?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We have satellite so through DVR
Expert:  Louie replied 11 months ago.

Bear with me; is the Denon's HDMI Control set to "On"? And the HDMI from the TV's HDMI IN 4 (ARC) connected to the Denon's HDMI OUT MONITOR 1 ARC?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
As far as I can tell, yes. I went through both units' pdfs to check hook-up and went through all the screens on the Denon. I believe everything is set properly.Rather than take more of your time on NY Eve, let's disconnect, and I'll deal with the Denon folks on Saturday. I was hoping to have the better sound for the games but it's not that critical to me. Thanks and over and out.
Expert:  Louie replied 11 months ago.

Copy that and no prob.

Of course, the DVR can be connected to the Denon rather than to the TV as an alternative connection method.