Steve G., Master Technician
Experience:  Audio Video System design and repair.
329447

We got a new router and now my russound app cannot locate

Customer Question

Hi there - we got a new router and now my russound app cannot locate the new IP address - can you help ?
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Steve G. replied 11 months ago.

Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

Have you successfully connected anything else to the router? If so, please tell me what.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
we have a main router that splits and feeds other wireless routers in the house - those are all working
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Doea this help ?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
On the Russound unit we have the adress 10.0.0.50 but this is the one the app is struggling to find

What I mean is: do you have phones, iPads, computers, laptops etc. connected to that router?

If so, which device(s)?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Qipads, iPhones and a normal laptop all connect to the wireless network
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Have all the devices on right now

Ok, on your iPhone, click on SETTINGS. Then click on WIFI. Then find your network SSID - it will be the one the phone is connected to and click the round circle with the letter 'i' in it.

On the next page will be listed the IP address of the router. Do not confuse it with the IP address of the phone. It will be the third item listed.

Is that what you are looking for?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks got that - that is the router IP address - our Russound app requires an IP address and this is what I am looking for

Ok, normally, the router will hand out IP addresses to anything that wants one. This is called DHCP. If, instead, you want to assign a static IP address to the Russound, it will be an address that shares the first three numbers with the router and then has a 4th number between 1 and 254. Typically, you would pick a number quite high in that range to ensure you're not using one that has already been assigned by the router using DHCP.

So for example, if your router is 192.168.1.1 then pick any number between 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.254

I would use a number over 200.

That should work.

Let me know if you need further help.

Steve

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks again - getting closer - how do I assign a static address to the russound amp ? Once I have that can then use the app to activate the system

I'm going to have to look at that for you.

Can you tell me the model of the amp you are using please?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Russound MCALLEN-C3 multi zone controller

Ok, hold on please.

OK, so this controller does not have WiFi. I assume that you have it plugged in directly to your router using ethernet? Specifically from the RJ45 jack on t he back labeled 'ETHERNET'?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Correct
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The ethernet cable is plugged into an Apple time captual

Well then it should be assigned an IP address by the router through the Apple box..

Do this: on your iPhone, go to the app store and download a free program called 'Net Analyzer Lite'. Download and install it and then run a scan on your network and see if the amp is listed.

You do have the amp plugged into one of the LAN ports on the Time Capsule and not the WAN port??

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the amp is plugged in correctly, thanks, ***** ***** down load the app and check for you

Ok.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok I ran the scan - we cannot find the amp - we found all the other devices

Ok, so it's not getting an address.

Unplug the Russound and Apple box from wall power. Wait 30 seconds.

Plug in the Apple, wait 60 secs.

Plug in the Russound. Wait 30-60 seconds and do a scan.

If still no luck, we have to rule out that ethernet cable first. Do you have another?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
we have others

Ok, well do the unplugging thing first and see what happens.

Any luck, I do have to log off at Noon EST for a couple of hours. I will be back on as quick as I can after that.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Not a problem, unfortunately no luck, but I think we'll try on another occasion

Ok, I'll be here.

Happy New Year.

I'm back. I was away for less time than I anticipated.

If you wish to continue, just let me know.

Thanks.