Aric, Engineer
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a Denon AVR-X2200W 7.2 Channel Full 4K Ultra HD A/V

Customer Question

Good evening. I have a Denon AVR-X2200W 7.2 Channel Full 4K Ultra HD A/V Receiver and I'd like to connect a turntable. Is this doable?
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Hello, and sorry you're having problems. We are now connected on this website- which saves you money over having a Tech come to your home, and in many cases we can fix the problem you're having.

Yes, absolutely you can connect a turntable to your Denon- but you will need a Phono Preamp to connect between the turntable and the receiver, as newer receivers don't have phono preamps built in. A phono preamp adjusts for the lower recorded signal of a turntable and can be purchased for between $25-$500 (the higher price being for audiophile-grade units). However a basic unit that will work for this is available at the link below.

http://www.parts-express.com/behringer-pp400-microphono-ultra-compact-phono-preamp--248-6348

You simply connect the turntable to the phono preamp "Inputs" and then run a set of RCA cables from the phon preamp "Outputs" to any of the red and white stereo Inputs on the Denon (CD, etc.).

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
done that. didn't work.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have a Music Hall Mini MM Phono Pre-Amplifier. I'm connected to the CD input
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Okay then elaborate- where are you getting stuck? What is the make and model of the turntable?

Are you connecting the turntable to the phono preamp INPUTS- and the OUTPUTS to the Denon?

Have you selected the CD Input?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The turntable is an Audio-Technical AT-PL50. The connections are as you describe and i have selected the CD input on the receiver.
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Remove the phono preamp from the mix so we can divide and conquer the problem. Connect the turntable directly to the CD Input, turn the volume up 1/3 of the way up and play a record. Any low level music coming form the Denon at all?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I had already done that before i bought the preamp. The was no sound. i think maybe i have a bad cartridge.
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Yes, you have a bad cartridge or another issue with the turntable- its tough to say without swapping the cartridge. However any receiver will still play a low level, distorted signal from a turntable given the turntable is operational. The preamp is only to raise the signal 40 db and provide RIAA correction to equalize the sound. The Denon is indeed compatible with a turntable provided a preamp is used however- you have a different issue here and I would suggest replacing that cartridge as a first step towards correcting it.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
thanks. good evening.
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

You're welcome and you as well. Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. You can follow up at any time if needed.