Louie, Technician
Experience:  Have been in the business 25+ yrs., down to component level.
13948492

I have a Pioneer vsx-1124k and the advanced mcacc light is

Customer Question

I have a Pioneer vsx-1124k and the advanced mcacc light is blinking and I get no power. what are the reset buttons to push to get it back?
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, have you tried the user's RESET? please click HERE.

As it implies, a reset would force the unit to revert back to factory defaults removing glitches and config errors but would include memories, presets and user preferences.

May have to be done a number of times.

This is very critical - a reset however would not be corrective of an internal hardware concern; but it would be confirmed. In some instances, it may even expose other issues.

If not corrective, then there is still a last chance technician's RESET before attempting an internal repair.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
cannot do a reset in the state it is in. that is why I am looking for button combos to bring it back to life on the screen.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

The Pioneer can not be put into STANDBY mode?

Have you tried unplugging say for 5~10 minutes? ...and then just plugging back in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is not in standby. it has the mcacc light blinking with no response otherwise. look I have the manual. you didn't give me anything I didn't find in the manual. I went to forums and this is common for pioneers. I just don't the combo of buttons for the 1124. if you can't help, please charge my $5 and I will move on.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Likely what is available/referred to is the Operating Instructions.

I was merely following procedures as prescribed by the two (2) Service Manuals (not the Owner's Manual) for the Pioneer VSX-1124-K hence the above. And as posted earlier, "...there is still a last chance technician's RESET before attempting an internal repair...."

Perhaps a second opinion / alternative approach by another member be more to your preference?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But I can't anything on the tv screen. So this is not a course of action for me. I need reset button combinations to get back my screen.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

The display on the TV screen is not a factor in trying either the User or the Technician's RESET procedure. What is important is that the procedure be done from a STANDBY mode. Thus the foremost requirement is to be able to put the VSX-1124K to standby mode; i.e. the MCACC light has not yet engaged rather than be able to see anything to the TV.

Have you tried unplugging the Pioneer for an extended period of time; even a couple of hours? ...and then plugging back in but with no speaker/speaker wires connected?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have it unplugged now. I will leave it this way for 2hrs. I will then start the procedure with all cabling disconnected.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Appreciate your kind understanding and would look forward to an update when able.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nothing.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

If the unit is not able to go into standby mode, then even the technician's RESET would not be doable.

This would then confirm an internal hardware issue.

If comfortably able and feel safe to do so, are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter and even a soldering iron?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know? What would I be able to accomplish anyway?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. So here is the latest. I used one of your cures for other Pioneer machines that I found elsewhere. I did the tune down and multi-zone off and I got it to power up long enough to go display the amp err and then immediately go back into protect mode. What can I do next?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

As posted above, it would be an internal hardware issue.

Would you be comfortable working on the circuitry with guidance? ...and do you have access to a multi-meter and a soldering iron?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have an MM now. I could have one tomorrow evening.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

I understand. Please post back tomorrow evening or when able with the multi-meter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
great. thank you.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Cheers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, so I have a pioneer vsx-1124 with an amp error, it's case is off, I have a meter and what should I do next?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do I start the process over again with questions?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your patience; was mobile when your reply was posted.

Please click HERE for the description of the MCACC blink fault. The most likely cause of this DC voltage across a speaker terminal would be if either or both of its output transistor has failed. With this, preliminary test would be to determine which of the red & black speaker terminal pair would yield a momentary DC Volts reading on powering on. This would help narrow down to which of the nine (9) pairs would be highly suspect.

If no DCV is read or unable to perform this preliminary test, then all eighteen output transistors would have to be checked out-of-circuit.

The output transistors are the big transistors attached to the big aluminum heatsink. Most versions would have 2SD2390 and 2SB1560 paired.

Test would be for forward and reverse of base-to-emitter, base-to-collector & collector-to-emitter.

It has to be posted that it is also possible for the smaller driver and pre-amp transistors to have failed and driving the output to err.

In some others, an uneven ± V (even from the output of regulators) would cause an unbalanced voltage condition thus and can cause also the output to err (show failure).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you have to understand that just about everything you said is foreign to me. guess this probably not going to work?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

I'm afraid yes.

I realize that the above information may perhaps be not what was expected. Unfortunately, there is no quick-n-easy fix and neither is there a workaround; it is either repair or replace.

Sorry for having to be the bearer of bad news.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what happened to "technician's reset" option?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

The "..used one of your cures for other Pioneer machines that I found elsewhere. I did the tune down and multi-zone off and I got it to power up..." was the technician's RESET.

That "..got it to power up long enough to go display the amp err and then immediately go back into protect mode..." is inline with the "..This is very critical - a reset however would not be corrective of an internal hardware concern; but it would be confirmed. In some instances, it may even expose other issues...."