Aric, Engineer
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a Denon 1025RA. Last year the Muting button started

Customer Question

I have a Denon 1025RA. Last year the Muting button started flashing when turned on and not turning off again. We deselected Mute, but it continued to flash...no sound at all. I've turned on the Receiver over and over with the same result. How do I fix this to play Christmas songs!!!???? Thank you. Kathy
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and sorry you're having problems. We are now connected on this website- which saves you money over having a Tech come to your home, and in many cases we can fix the problem you're having. In other cases, these things do require additional parts to fix- so there's not always a pushbutton reset for this problem.

The only thing that can cause this, is either a faulty processor within the receiver (which requires service as it's failing due to heat/age), or to unplug the receiver from power for 60 minutes or more to drain residual current from the receiver in the hopes that it resets.

With the unit unplugged, remove all connections (speaker wires, RCA cables, etc.) and inspect for signs of kinked/frayed cables ends. In the case of the speaker wires, make sure no bare strands of wire are touching adjacent wires or the back of the receiver. Reconnect the wiring once inspected and make sure it is secure.

If the issue goes beyond this, this does point to a hardware failure requiring service. When these units get on in age (10-15 years +) it's not uncommon for parts to begin to fail and can cause the symptoms your having.

In this case, you're unfortunately looking at around $250 parts and labor for repair- which is on the cusp of the cost of a replacement unit, so not sure I would recommend putting that kind of money into a receiver of this age

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.