Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands
59725966

I have a Denon AVR-987. Just picked up a Pioneer PLX-1000

Customer Question

I have a Denon AVR-987. Just picked up a Pioneer PLX-1000 turntable. Hooked it up but has static especially at high end of the volume range? Any suggestions. Using phono jack with ground. All connections are good.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Static is on right channel only. Tried new RCA cables switched to CD analog as well, but volume too low using alternative CD input.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
1-***-***-****
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

This is primarily an issue of insufficient primary amplification/signal out of the turntable, as the denon doesn't have an internal phono preamp. You'll need to add in an external phono preamplifier between the turntable and the denon: http://amzn.to/1OoHgGn

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I would agree but why only on the right channel? The left is quite, as it should be. Meaning it has no static. I followed the receivers manufacture recommendation and am using a MC high output cartridge on the turntable.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
In addition unlike the analog CD channel the volume on the phono input is correct
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

If you swap the cables left for right, does that make a difference (moving to the other side)?
If so, it could be a short in the cord or a fault in the output of the turntable or even a bad cartridge.

If no change, then it may be a signal processing or amp issue in the denon.

If you are using the internal phono input though, that does have some preamplification but doesn't work with all units, and could have a fault in the one channel. I'm betting you'd find using the external preamp on the cd/tape/etc ports would work fine.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I will go and get one and let know.
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** of luck to you.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,