Aric, Engineer
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Can not get audio from oppo 93 blu ray to denon avr-s710w

Customer Question

can not get audio from oppo 93 blu ray to denon avr-s710w
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Hello, and sorry you're having problems. We are now connected on this website- which saves you money over having a Tech come to your home, and in many cases we can fix the problem you're having.

Offhand, please elaborate on this part here- are you saying that ONLY the front HDMI port on the Denon WILL play both audio and video from the Oppo?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Okay, have you tried the Input assign to assign the HDMI audio and video to the same port- say HDMI 5 for instance?

Also, have you tried using another HDMI cable- such as the one from the Blu Ray player plugged directly into the Oppo?

The reason I ask is that HDMI is digital and finicky in nature anyways, so trying a different cable- even though it works in another port, is a good idea.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have tried many different cables. In input a sign you can only assign hdmi name to port
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Strange. According to the manual you can assign a digital audio input to a digital video input (for example assigning optical to HdmI 1, or digital coaxial to HDMI 2, etc.).

Additionally, have you tried running an optical cable from the Oppo to say, the Opt 2 Input, and the plugging the Oppo's HDMI into the Media Player input to see if audio and video are on the same input?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ran optical cable from oppo to receiver and hdmi from oppo to media player, assigned media player to opt2. Have video no audio
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Please try going into the "Audio Format Setup" of the Oppo, and scroll down to select "Optical". Try that and if that does not work, change the output of the optical from LPCM to Bitstream and let me know if there is still no sound.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
There is no place in audio format setup to select optical, you can change to bitstream which I did. I also turned hdmi off. Still no audio
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

With the player on and running, now go and select each and every single Input option on the Denon and check for sound with any one of them. Let me know.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Not real confident that another 18.00 is going help
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

I'm not asking for any more money that's advertising from the site. Try what I said above and reply back. Thank you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Nothing
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Why only the front?
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Then somehow there is no audio going from your Oppo to your Denon using any type of cable and with any setting except for the front HDMI port. This means you need to reset your Denon back to defaults, as it's likely a processor glitch causing this.

Follow the instructions on page 226 of the Denon manual to reset to defaults:

http://d2stobyut4u5rx.cloudfront.net/ImageBank/v20150909113100/Manuals/033/033AVS710W.PDF

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Been there done that
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

I am opting out now to put the question back on the boards. Maybe someone else has an idea.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is it time to send this thing back
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Where do I rate you?
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.
I believe they removed the rating when I oped out. It does seem as there's a software issue between the Oppo and the Denon's rear ports. A firmware update on the Denon may help, but I don't have high hopes for it at this stage.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have updated both to latest firmware,did not help. Only had this receiver 2weeks am going to return. Thank you for the effort
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Do I get my money back?
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

I'm not privy to billing or accounts as I'm an independent tech working of my own time with you here. You need to contact customer service from the home page for billing.