Mike G.
Mike G., Technician
Experience:  10 Years Audio Video Repair & Setup
24542549

I have a avr 2312ci receiver...I bought a Samsung 4k

Customer Question

I have a avr 2312ci receiver...I bought a Samsung 4k tv....directv connected their genie mini 61 and said I cannot connect to the denon for surround sound??? Could you clarify please....there is only digital audio on the mini and on the mini connect box for the smart tv
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The directv tech plugged the hdmi cable into the mini and then into the mini connect box...bypassing the receiver......there is an optical connection on the mini connect box, the genie mini and the denon.....again saying there is no way to get surround sound......help
Expert:  Mike G. replied 11 months ago.

Welcome! We are now connected together on this convenient website. I am an experienced electronics field technician and your satisfaction is my top priority.

Not sure why Directv would bypass the AVR... It's pretty simple, all you need is 2 hdmi cables:

-Connect the hdmi OUTPUT from the Genie to the AVR hdmi INPUT.

-Connect the hdmi OUPUT of the AVR to the hdmi INPUT of the Tv.

-Set the tv to that hdmi input, and set the AVR to that hdmi source, and the picture will pass through the AVR on to the tv while the audio will play on the surround speakers.

There are other ways to connect all this equipment, just let me know why you would not want use the above configuration.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
didn't work I had 3 component plugs from the receiver to the old directv hdvr.....no sound....they are now unplugged from the mini genie since they have no component plugs....all the genie has is the digital plug....
Expert:  Mike G. replied 11 months ago.

what "3 component plugs"? do you mean hdmi? you need to use hdmi, like my example above.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 11 months ago.

2 hdmi cords:

- from genie to AVR

- from AVR to tv

Expert:  Mike G. replied 11 months ago.

Remember that I am here to help you. Please reply back if you need clarification on any of the above.

I have donated my invaluable time and expertise helping you rather than other paying customers. Please be sure to click the 5 STARS or SMILEYS rating now.

Rating now does NOT close the question or prevent us from continuing our conversation here. My livelihood truly does depend on your positive rating.

Clicking the "bad/poor" rating does NOT do anything to fix your issue, nor does it issue you a refund.

Thank you,