Aric, Engineer
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a bose 3.2.1 Series II DVD Home Entertainment system.

Customer Question

I have a bose 3.2.1 Series II DVD Home Entertainment system. After a power surge at our home it is inoperative. I won't power up. The back of the Acoustimass module is very warm on the back when plugged in. The small speakers have a slightly audible hum.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Are there currently any signs of life at all on the Bose (display lights up, power light, etc.)?

Also, how long have you owned the system for?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No signs of life. I've had the system about 10 years.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, that's not good news. If you cannot get the display to turn on with the power button- then there's no settings or adjustments you can perform to fix this. This indicates a hardware failure in the Bose system. However, please try these steps as a last ditch effort to try and get the system to turn on:

Disconnect it from power, then press and hold the power button while plugging it back in. Continue to hold the power button for 10 seconds.

If that does not work the first time, then disconnect from power- wait a minute, then try the procedure up to two more times and let me know what happens.

Let me know if there is even a flash of the display at any point.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll try that. I am not at home where my system is located so I will try it this evening and let you know.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay I understand. While I don't have high hopes that will work- it's really the only thing you can try on a user level in the hopes to reset the system. If the issue goes beyond that, then it would require repairs.

In this case you would need to contact Bose Service, as they are the only ones that repair their systems:

BOSE:

For assistance with your product, please call us toll-free at 1-***-***-****. For help with our aviation headsets, call 1-***-***-****.

For the best possible service, please have your product nearby when you call. Hours of operation: Monday – Friday: 8:30 AM – 8 PM ET

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wasn't completely accurate in my intial description of the problem. The digital display works fine you can select TV, CD, AM/FM, etc., But there's no sound at all. I did try the reboot procedure you suggested and I got the 1.2.3 lights on the display.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

After the reboot, when the 3-2-1 lights come on the display- did it stay locked up like that, or did it advance to showing the "Source"?