Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands
59725966

My Denon mp3 wma dcm-290 has stopped playing discs. It used

Customer Question

My Denon mp3 wma dcm-290 has stopped playing discs. It used to play homemade and purchased cd's. Now it starts to play the commercial cd but the sound is garbled.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Earl.

This type of problem is often caused by a contaminated laser lens. You can attempt to clean it by blowing out the disc tray/slot area with a can of compressed air for dusting computers (keep the can upright only so you don't get chemical propellant on the lens).

If this doesn't help, you can try a specialty cleaning disc (Allsop 23321 Ultra Pro Carbon-Edge DVD and CD-Drive Cleaner) which has little brushes that clean the lens more thoroughly.

If neither of these cleaning steps help, then this is more likely a hardware fault, which could include a bad laser emitter or pickup, faulty spindle motor or laser transport, bad d/a converter, etc. Any of these issues would require repair/replacement.

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further, if needed.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I will try your solutions today.
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** me know how it works out.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The compressed air did not work. I try to find the Allsop CD cleaner.
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** me know the results. You can click right on the link I sent to buy it online: (Allsop 23321 Ultra Pro Carbon-Edge DVD and CD-Drive Cleaner)