Louie, Technician
Experience:  Have been in the business 25+ yrs., down to component level.
13948492

Have a Denon DBP-2012UDCI that says "no disc" when one is

Customer Question

Have a Denon DBP-2012UDCI that says "no disc" when one is loaded. Apparently this is a known issue as I've seen other posts in the 'net stating the same. According to the player, the software is up-to-date.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

This type of problem is often caused by a contaminated laser lens. You can attempt to clean it by blowing out the disc tray/slot area with a can of compressed air for dusting computers (keep the can upright only so you don't get chemical propellant on the lens).

If this doesn't help, you can try a specialty cleaning disc (Allsop 23321 Ultra Pro Carbon-Edge DVD and CD-Drive Cleaner) which has little brushes that clean the lens more thoroughly.

If neither of these cleaning steps help, then this is more likely a hardware fault, which could include a bad laser emitter or pickup, faulty spindle motor or laser transport, bad d/a converter, etc. Any of these issues would require repair/replacement.