Joe
Joe, Technician
Experience:  connections and repair diagnosis of home theater
20508815

I cannot get my DVD to play on the Sansui TV

Customer Question

Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Hi , I`m Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first could you please send me a reply when you see this ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok reply
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Hello , couple of questions but first about the VGA port (not AVG) , that definitely won`t work .

Now about the component Y-Pb-Pr cables , I looked up the specs on this tv and all I could find was that it has 2 HDMI inputs and 1 VGA along with 1 RF/antenna input , no component inputs .

So here is my question ;

Did you use a component to hdmi cable to try and connect this ?

Or perhaps component to vga cable ??

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my DVD player has a composite connector. the old red white and yellow ones. the TV has the corresponding ports
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k then those are not mentioned in the specs so there is confusion here.

Where did you get this ypbpr description , you must have seen this somewhere .

Is that what you tried ?

Component ypbpr into composite video +audio left/right ??

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there are 2 options on my TV. the composite connection that the instruction book says is for DVD players and the YPbPr is supposed to be for games etc but it tried to use the corresponding 3 colours for the DVD - also did not work.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Did you try the composite red/white /yellow or the component ypbpr or both ??

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried them both. The external speakers work and give me what ever is playing on the DVD, but I don't get a picture.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Sorry then but I will opt out , I simply do not have enough info on this tv .

You don`t have to do anything , your question will be reposted for other techs. to see and jump in.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

No problem

Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Hello and good day,

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

Out of curiosity, you wouldn't happen to have a copy of the owners manual that I could view would you? I want to be sure I reference the correct info for you so that I do not provide incorrect info and to do that I need more info on this model.

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Joe
I only have hard copy. I tried Sansui website but it is down or being redone or something.I could scan relevant pages and add them as files - I guess. I have tried everything in the manual I think, I was hoping there is a 'channel tuning' trick or something that I should know.
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Normally you would be only looking at selecting the correct input/source when dealing with a composite/component connection, these do not require any channel tuning/programming and are usually straight forward.

With component all 3 color connections are for the video (no audio, audio is separate), with composite the yellow is the only video, making this simple yellow connection make sure the dvd player if progressive is not set to progressive for now. Do you have any other devices that you can try via the same input connections on this tv? There's a chance the board may be defective.

Also did you just purchase this tv and this problem has been ever since first use?

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Joe
seems you are in a different part of the world - I was still asleep when this message arrived!
yes this is a brand new TV - 1 week old - and I cannot get the picture with the yellow connection. I have 3 DVD players - all work on the old TV but not this new Smart one. Obviously, the dealer says it is my 'old' DVD player that is the problem and that is why I had hoped to Sansui directly. unfortunately they seem to be off line at the moment. I will go today and shout at them because I think there must be a fault if there isn't some hidden setting I can't find.... thanks Lynda