Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands
59725966

I have a Denon receiver that controls my home surround sound

Customer Question

I have a Denon receiver that controls my home surround sound system that runs my HD tv (on AT&T cable), tape deck, Blue tooth DVD,Sirius radio etc. The Sirius radio quit working and at fault is the Sirius receiver model # ***** which is no longer available. The r4ceiver had an 8 pin connector which plugged into the Denon 8 pin connector. The replacement docking station from Sirius does not have an 8 pin connector. Instead it has a red and white speaker plug in connector. How do I connect to the Denon and will I still have surround sound to my multiple speakers and the display on the TV? Hope you can help with this. Thank you, Dave
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Nathan replied 12 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Expert:  Nathan replied 12 months ago.

Dave, in this case you can certainly use an external/aftermarket sat radio tuner. You are correct it won't have the 8 pin anymore.

It will still work with the red/white, it will still work in surround to all the speakers, but you won't have control over the stations from the denon remote (the sat tuner may have its own remote for tuning however) and it won't output any display (artist/album/track) to the tv unless the sat tuner also has a video (yellow) output cable.

I'm not sure what model denon you have, presumably a fairly old one though since it had the 8 pin.

What you might consider is upgrading to a newer denon model, which has a built in network based satellite ratio function (sirrius works through the internet, rather than a satellite antenna) and gives you full control over the stations, gives full display info, even control from your smartphone/tablet. I can advise on some options there, if you'd like.