Rusty
Rusty, Engineer
Experience:  Let my expertise help solve your technical problems. Over 20 years electronics and sound equipment experience.
63817454

I have a Kenwood Multiple Compact Disc Player and a Kenwood

Customer Question

I have a Kenwood Multiple Compact Disc Player and a Kenwood AV Surround Sound KRF-V-70200 Receiver.
My problem is that the CD player audio is not playing or coming thru the receiver. What could be wrong. All of a sudden it just stopped.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Rusty. The inputs on your receiver each have a preamp. It conditions the line signal for use with the amplifier stage. A hot signal, or just over time, they can wear out and stop working for that input. That's why it works on another input, you did the right thing trying another input. That means your CD player is fine, it's just the CD input that is bad.

If your CD player has its own volume control, turn it down just a bit. That is one thing that will cause the preamp to go out.

You can have it repaired for around $75, but it won't hurt your receiver to use a different input instead, just not the phono input. The phono input has a higher gain than the rest of the inputs, and you'll burn it up with a CD player.