Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands
59725966

I got an Insignia NS-A1111 as a gift. The 5 cd changer does

Customer Question

I got an Insignia NS-A1111 as a gift. The 5 cd changer does not reccognize that a cd is installed. What Can I do.
Michele Morrow
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hi Michelle,

Was the system new, or used?

Initially, this type of problem is often caused by a contaminated laser lens. You can attempt to clean it by blowing out the disc tray/slot area with a can of compressed air for dusting computers (keep the can upright only so you don't get chemical propellant on the lens).

If this doesn't help, you can try a specialty cleaning disc (Allsop 23321 Ultra Pro Carbon-Edge DVD and CD-Drive Cleaner) which has little brushes that clean the lens more thoroughly.

If neither of these cleaning steps help, then this is more likely a hardware fault, which could include a bad laser emitter or pickup, faulty spindle motor or laser transport, bad d/a converter, etc. Any of these issues would require repair/replacement.

Let me know how it works, and I'll advise further if needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the system is brand new. I will try the air right now,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where is the laser lens
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, your replies just came through.

The laser lens is internal to the changer (under where the playing disc rests). It is not directly accessible, or user serviceable.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

If the initial cleaning does not help, then the unit was faulty right out of the box.

I realize this was a gift, but sadly this type of problem is common with insignia products. It is a "3rd tier brand" that uses the lowest quality parts and have extremely high failure rates even for new products.

Your best recourse here is to return/exchange it with the retailer (hopefully you have a gift receipt) or contact the person that gave it to you and ask if they can do the same on your behalf.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in a good faith effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. I am only paid for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a positive rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately.