Joel
Joel, Home Theater Enthusiast
Experience:  Security Engineer
90483924

I have a Denon AVR-X2200W which I only want to use business

Customer Question

I have a Denon AVR-X2200W which I only want to use for a business to connect to 6 speakers. I had the speakers installed and Audioquest FLX/DB-16/2 cable wired to an office. Now I'm trying to connect the speakers but (and I'm a novice) I'm not sure what to do. I stripped a piece off the end like I used to do with regular speaker wire, but found 4 wires (1 black, 1 red, and 2 smaller black wires) within the cable.
Since I'm not connecting the receiver to a TV, I don't have the ability to "Follow the instructions on your TV" option.
Help?
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.

Hi and Welcome. I'm Joel and I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

I've had a quick look at the cable you had installed from here

I don't see one with 1xred/1xblack and then 2 smaller black cables? The 16/2 cable should only have a black and a red.

In any case, don't worry about the 2 smaller black wires or if the cable has a white and a green, ignore them and snip them off. What you are interested in is the negative (black) and positive (red). So to hook them up, make sure the red is connected to the + post on your speaker and black is connected to the - post on your speaker binding terminals. Not sure what speakers you have but some you just insert with the clamp mechanism while other you loosen the screw - insert the bare wire and then tighten down the screw.

Same goes for your receiver, strip the end of the cable, cut off the 2 smaller black wires so your just left with the large red and large black wires. Strip them to bare wire and twist the wire strands to make a point of bare wire. You want to unscrew the terminal on the Denon which corresponds to the speaker, for example, Front Left, unscrew the red positive, insert your bare red wire then tighten, repeat for the black negative cable. Thats one done, then repeat for all speakers, Front Right etc

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. The speakers are already wired and in the ceiling. I will cut off the little black wires and I've inserted into the back. My problem now is the receiver says "use TV for setup" and I'm not planning on connecting it to a TV directly so not sure how to proceed any farther.
Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.

No worries. I'm not 100% familiar with that particular model. How many speakers do you have in the ceiling? I'm not sure if you can cancel the initial setup but you can try by pressing say source/input on the remote control and see if you can just straight out select your source (radio, cdplayer). I will keep looking otherwise, if you can't is it at all possible to grab a small TV from anywhere and plug it into the HDMI OUT on the Denon, just to quickly run through the initial setup? Once thats done you won't need the TV again,

Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.

Let me know how you go or if theres anything else I can assist with

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I figured it out, thank you.
Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.

Excellent. Let me know if I can help with anything else. Also feel free to leave me a star rating if you were satisfied with my service today, Thank you
Joel