Rusty
Rusty, Engineer
Experience:  Let my expertise help solve your technical problems. Over 20 years electronics and sound equipment experience.
63817454

My name is ***** *****. I have a Lifestyle 50 system that I

Customer Question

Customer: My name is Dick ***** *****. I have a Lifestyle 50 system that I just moved from one room to another. The Music center no longer pairs with the Multi-room interface. I get "No response" regardless of what I have tried. I have verified 14.4VAC at the transformer output. When I connect power to the MRI, the CD changer initializes indicating it is getting power. However, when I put the batteries in the Music center, a foot from the MRI, it still does not pair with the MRI. I have also hit the Mute button for 5 seconds, gotten the beep indicating it is trying to connect to the MRI, however, the connection is unsuccessful. Still No Response. Are there any other things to try?Agent is typing...
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: At the moment, there is nothing I can think of you might want to know. If you need further info, I can try to get it.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Home Theater-Stereo Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes I can wait. There's no rush.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thanks for requesting me. Move the MRI a few feet in case there is something obstructing the signal, like interference from electrical wires, or another device. This is just until you get them connected. If they are separated too far, it won't connect. Try a few different places, and tell me if you are able to get it to connect.

Be sure also to unplug the MRI so it can also make a fresh connection. Let me know how it turns out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried that several times over the past few days, including 10 minutes ago, all with the same outcome ... still "No Response".
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

What if you move it back to the original location? Here's what I'm checking for: Bose electronics are always energized. Even when you turn it off, it is still on in the background. That means when you unplug it, you run the risk of damaging the electronics, especially if you move it within 20 minutes of unplugging it.

I want to rule that out, and check the wireless connection before calling it inoperable, which is why I need you to check to see if it will connect in the original location.

If you unplug the MRI and do the first time setup in the original location and it still doesn't connect, it will need to go in for repair. Bose will offer you a flat rate repair, and will offer you a new unit at an incredibly discounted rate if they cannot fix yours. 1-***-***-****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I assume when you say "always energized", you mean when plugged in. It's hard to imagine Bose designing a system that would be damaged by unplugging it in any state. That's simply bad engineering. In any case, I put the MRI back in the same place it was before I moved it. I waited 10 minutes, plugged in the CD changer and the bass amplifier. Then I plugged in the power (transformer). (I assume these are the steps implied by "first time setup".) The CD changer reset indicating there was indeed power to the system. (I had also checked the transformer output and verified around 15VAC.) I then put the batteries in the MC within a foot of the MRI. Still no connection.
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

Yep, welcome to Bose engineering. They spend their money on aerospace physicists to design their speaker enclosures, but then use Chinese parts to assemble them. They aren't known for tough electronics, only good speaker enclosures. They use tiny speakers with a cone shaped enclosure. They design them to stay energized when plugged in so it doesn't stress the cheap capacitors when you turn it on and off. Contrary to popular belief, they are not built with quality, they just sound good.

Double check that your source you're trying to play is plugged in and playing correctly. No Response will show up when there is a lack of input.

Additionally, did you hear two beeps with the mute button?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am attempting only the simplest of configurations ... the Bose CD changer and no other inputs. As described previously, I verified there is power to the CD changer (the changer initialized when I plugged in the MRI.). As for the Mute button, I get one beep after 5 seconds, and that's all. Supposedly, when the system is functioning correctly, 10 seconds after I hear the single beep, I should hear 2 beeps when the connection is established. The fact that I never hear the two beeps is consistent with the fact that the connection is not established.
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

Yeah, that's not connecting, and I think it will have to go into Bose for repair. One more thing, unplug it for 30 seconds. Hold the eject button while you plug it in and turn it on. That is one trick that isn't always in the instructions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tell me a bit more about the eject button. I assume you mean the eject button on the CD changer since there are no others. The next question is "plug what in". I unplugged everything for a minute. Then I plugged in the CD changer and the subwoofer. Then, while pressing the eject button on the CD changer, I plugged the MRI power in. The CD changer ejected the cartridge as expected. I then inserted the batteries into the MC, and still no connection.FYI .. I spoke with Bose and the bad news is that 2 years ago they stopped servicing the Lifestyle 50 system. The "good news" is they offer 50% off an upgrade to their $3500 535 system. So for $1700 I can get my system functioning again. presumably :^)))
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

Yeah, we're lucky enough that when we buy into Bose, they charge a more reasonable price for a new unit just to keep you as a customer. You did the proper procedure, it's time to replace it. Keep in mind that the newer models also use the cheap electronics, so if you ever need to move it, put it into standby, unplug it, and let it sit for at least 20 minutes before moving it, even just a couple of inches. Moving them is how they fail, I see that happen all the time.