Aric, Engineer
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a Yamaha rx-v777 receiver and I want to use it as a

Customer Question

Hi i have a Yamaha rx-v777 receiver and I want to use it as a music amplifier.
I connected a Bose acoustimass 6 system to the amp on my living room and also two Polk speakers directly to the amp.
My question is: I want to use my iPhone to stream music to the amp via AirPlay and be able to turn one zone on and the othe one off and vicevixeversa but the zone 2 speakers are not producing any sound. The main area is though
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, The issue here is the Zone 2 only outputs signal from analog sources- and Airplay is digital. This is the same with all home theater receivers. Only the built in tuner, and all of the red and white RCA Inputs are able to pass through to the Zone 2 speakers. The digital Inputs (Airplay, HDMI, and optical) are solely routed to the main zones.

In order to be able to stream the Airplay through Zone 2 you would need additional equipment- a separate Airplay receiver box connected to the RCA red and whites on the Yamaha, or a direct connection from the Iphone to the receiver using an 1/8" to stereo RCA patch cable would be needed.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

The device at the link below, connected using an 1/8" to stereo RCA patch cable would also work. It receives the Airplay signal and can connect to the RCA red and white jacks on the Yamaha as a workaround- essentially sending another path to the receiver so that it can playback the Airplay on Zone 2:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2T21SW0947&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-_-All+Headphones+%26+Accessories-_-9SIA2T21SW0947&gclid=Cj0KEQiA1dWyBRDqiJye6LjkhfIBEiQAw06ITnJ2kVrW8JT_zovyIn9YLDGJLit3VquzlFBXGnnj-DcaAutP8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Other than that, within the MENU's of the Yamaha, there is no way to transmit the digital Airplay signal over to Zone 2 within the receiver.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.