Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands
59725966

I have an Onkyo HT-RC360 receiver that failed a firmware

Customer Question

I have an Onkyo HT-RC360 receiver that failed a firmware upgrade, Now when ot powers up"ONKYO" displays on my monitor, and HDMI start up displays on received display and never goes away
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Gary. How was the update done?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Via network, I set it to update in the on screen menu, I left the unit updating, when I cam back the display on the receiver had "ERROR" displayed. The power was not interrupted as the unit was plugged into a UPS
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Wired ethernet, or wifi?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
wired
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Okay, just want to make sure it was wired direct to the router.

Not through any switches, bridges, extenders, etc. Any of those can cause signal interruptions that interrupt the firmware.

The first step will be to try a microprocessor reset.

If that fails we'd next try a manual update/recovery process,

and if that still fails then the update stalled at a point that has actually corrupted the firmware, which damages the internal memory to a point that the receiver is considered "bricked", and requires significant repairs or replacement.

Turn it on and, while holding down VCR/DVR on the front panel, press ON/STANDBY

Let me know the results,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried this several times and I never get "CLEAR" in the display. actually nothing happens other than the unit going on as normal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It seems like the source switching function is also messed-up. I can switch to some of the sources but not all. it does however switch between all sources when I use the remote
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Okay that indicates, unfortunately, that the firmware stalled out after the download and during the install/load process, which doesn't give us good odds at this point.

Download this file: http://bit.ly/1NbPlvA

uncompress the .zip folder and put the contents into the root directory of a blank usb memory stick

insert it into the front usb port, then do the above reset once more

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried this several times also, the display says initializing USB.... indefinitely. The LED on the USB flash drive never lights or blinks like it's being accessed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried several different USB drives, no luck
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

I was not aware of that. You had not mentioned any other actions you've taken in the initial question, or I would not have provided duplicate information.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry
I didn't want my first response to be a dissertation
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, that is the only remaining process you can attempt.

The firmware is corrupted at this point, and Onkyo will not warranty this type of damage, though for a 2011 model you'd be well past the warranty by now anyway.

It can be fixed, but it is not a simple setting, reset, or update process. The main/control board would have to be replaced. That is about a $350 part, and a $500 or so total repair job that can only be done at an authorized onkyo repair facility.

In this situation, you're usually better off replacing it entirely than having it serviced, as you can get a brand new/better model with a fresh warranty for the same price range as repairs.

I'm sorry I cannot offer more optimistic news in this case. I can help you find a repair shop, or recommend replacements if you'd like though.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for trying
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome, and my apologies again for the news.

Let me know if there is any other information I can provide for you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”, even though the news was not. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1e81djv

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,

Note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in a good faith effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. I am only paid for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a positive rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately.