Louie, Technician
Experience:  Have been in the business 25+ yrs., down to component level.
13948492

I have a Yamaha htr-5840 receiver. I am getting AM signal,

Customer Question

I have a Yamaha htr-5840 receiver. I am getting AM signal, but not FM. The display says "check antenna." I have done so, but still nothing. I see there is a module inside the unit that attaches to the two antenna connections (AM and FM). Is there a fuse in there that may need to be replaced, or some other troubleshooting that is in order?
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, are the tuner voltages of +5B and +12B present & consistent?

Still, the AM/FM tuner block is considered a complete part by itself thus is not recommended for component level repair. There is no fuse inside the tuner block. This module at most can be re-flowed; i.e. re-application of heat / fine tip soldering iron or better yet, with the use of a hot air blower to re-solder the SMDs (surface mounted devices/parts) with attention to the PCB (printed circuit board) to casing connection as well as ground lines and major SMDs particularly the varactor diode.

The prescribed approach is replacement. Depending on the version, it would have the part number of something like V6782300 (TFCE1U115A). Replacement would serve as both an attempt of a fix and as a test by process of elimination.