Aric, Engineer
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

How do I chose HDMI inputs 4 and 5 on the remote SC-81?

Customer Question

How do I chose HDMI inputs 4 and 5 on the remote for my SC-81?
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, What happens when you grab the big Input selector knob on the left hand of the receiver and twist it clockwise? You should see all of your Inputs scroll across the display of the receiver.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

You should get BD, DVD, SAT/CBL, BDR/DVR then HDMi 4 and HDMI 5. Let me know what exactly you see on the display when you turn this knob.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have cycled through it a few times, I do not see HDMI 4 or 5, I see the named componets I used when I set up the unit. this is what I see: directtv, internet radio,pandora,media server, favorites,ipod,tv,cd,tuner,adaptor port,oppo,apple tv- no hdmi port numbers
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay somebody named all of the ports then- since Oppo and Apple TV are not native Inputs on the receiver. Did you originally set this unit up?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the magnolia guys named the ports. i am trying to add amazon fire stick to hdmi 5 on the front
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, if they names the ports then you need to figure out WHICH name they gave to HDMI 4 or 5- OR you need to do a full factory reset of the Pioneer and set it up from scratch. Let me know how you'd like to proceed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Since originally I had only Directv, Oppo, and AppleTV, those were the only HDMI ports set up and named. HDMI 4 and 5 have not been used up until now so I "believe" they would have not named them or fooled with them in any way. I think that I will just have them come out. I want to add the Amazon Fire Stick since there is great new content on Amazon and I do not have access on AppleTV or my smart TV.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

If they were not named in any way they would show up as HDMI 4 or 5. There's no way around that. So- again are you looking to set up the unit again from scratch? OR, you can simply select EACH Input one at a time until you see the Apple TV welcome screen on your TV.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't want to set up from scratch, but I don't understand your reference to AppleTV in your last note. How does that relate to not seeing the HDMI ports 4 and 5?
Sorry to be such a dope on this
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Sorry- I meant Amazon Fire- not Apple TV.

What I'm saying is that from the factory- the receiver has HDMI 4 and 5 named as such.

So if you're not seeing HDMI 4 or 5- then the Magnolia Squad MUST have named those ports to something else.

So, plug in the Firestick to HDMi 4 or 5, then turn on the TV and select EACH and every Input on the receiver one at a time- waiting 3-4 seconds between each one to see if the Amazon welcome screen shows up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, tried that before but I will run through it one more time. Stand by
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, the Inputs should go in consecutive order.....

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I will be back in two minutes.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Any luck?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

There's also a button specifically labeled "HDMI" on the remote next to all of the other sources. That should toggle through the HDMI Input selection. Let me know what happens please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope. Thanks for the try. These receivers are so feature laden that it makes it complex sometimes. Thanks
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

There's also an HDMI 6 port on the front of the receiver (either SC 81 or 82- the manual doesn't specify). Can you select that one using the HDMI button on the remote?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried that first actually, and I did not see on the front panel that the hdmi inputs came up but I will try in again now. Its the button on the right next to the SAT input. Does any other key/button need to be pushed while selecting this button? I see the little graphic showing that it cycles or move through the inputs
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I don't know offhand. The manual simply states to use the HDMI button on the remote to directly access HDMI Inputs. Is it working?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not working. the red standby button illuminate when the hdmi button is pushed
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

What happens if you press "ALL", or "ROKU"?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All=server error, Rocku=HDMI 6/MHL. interesting
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Try plugging the Amazon Fire into the front HDMI 6 port, then select HDMI 6. Let me know what happens.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, two phone calls in row. Thanks for your help. I will contact Magnolia and have them come out. Thanks again and have a great weekend
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome and have a great weekend as well. If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.