Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  35+ years as audio/video repair and installation tech.
39158752

I purchased a Denon AVR-X1200W receiver and can't get it to

Customer Question

I purchased a Denon AVR-X1200W receiver and can't get it to work correctly. I get video but not audio on any of the components I have hooked up. I have a sound bar and sub woofer for the TV and no other external speakers. Uverse (wireless LAN) is hooked up to CBL input and the TV is hooked up to the HMDI OUT MONITOR. I get video but no audio. HDMI CEC on the TV is turned on. If I hook up Uverse directly to the TV everything works.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first i would have a few questions

Do you mean that there are no speakers connected directly to the denon ?

What you are using for sound is a sound bar on the tv ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No speakers connected directly to the denon. The sound bar is the only speaker.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k then your hdmi out will have to be set to PASS THROUGH on the denon so the audio doesn`t stop there but continue on to the tv .

Give me a few minutes and I will tell you how to do that

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Where is your cable box connected in the denon , is it CBL/SAT for example ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
CBL/SAT
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k then , be right back

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Sorry this takes a while , I can tell you that this receiver can be set for the HDMI PASS THROUGH but so far what I found is that it will do it only when the receive is turned off unlike other receiver that can be set so it will pass through whatever input is selected on the receiver while it is ON .

Let me check this again , there has to be a way

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you're right, if I turn off the receiver I get audio. Then why do I have a receiver?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

LOL , I know what you mean but then again I believe denon has figured you would have speakers connected to it.

What I`m thinking right now is that perhaps your sound bar could be connected to the denon instead of the tv .

Can you give me the model number of that sound bar ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hooked the sound bar directly to the denon via the optical port. Still no audio. Its a Samsung HW-J450
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also tried hooking it direct with HDMI. No audio
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

The denon has optical inputs not output and it does not have a second hdmi out to monitor which could have been used so the PRE OUT could likely be used , let me check this

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k then this can be done but you will need a 3.5 MM that would connect in the HW AUX IN and to rca stereo left/right that would go to the denon PRE OUT zone2 .

Here is such a cable ;

http://www.primecables.com/p-306355-cab-audio-1m-to-2rca-m-audio-cable-35mm-1male-to-2rca-male?gclid=CNnW6uvfmskCFYM-aQodwvEOoQ

You can find that cable at your local radio shack ,bestbuy ,Walmart etc.

Once it is connected you will set your denon to zone 2 and select the source input for the sound that will come out of tose terminals

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

I did go back to look at the specs and fonctions of your denon and I know now that there are no such pass through while the receiver is ON so without speakers if you want the sound to be somewhat controlled or at least the source selected by the denon then you have to use the zone2 option , no other ways around that .

If you don`t have any more questions for now then please do take the time to rate my answer by clicking on the 5-star icon at the top, then click on Submit , this is how I make a living and that rating gets me paid for my time.
Also note that it will not close this post , you can come back here at any time if you have questions.