Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  35+ years as audio/video repair and installation tech.
39158752

I have a new Vizio m60-c3 tv that has the optical audio out

Customer Question

I have a new Vizio m60-c3 tv that has the optical audio out going to an older Insignia no-av511 a/v receiver. The optical input is set for tv/cd which is selected. The tv speakers are off and the output is set to PCM but I am getting no sound out of the receiver. Any suggestions?
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first i would have a few questions so could you please send me a reply when you are ready to proceed ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure. Go ahead
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Thanks ,

What is connected to this tv ?
Cable box,satellite,dvd,games etc. ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just an Xbox one via hdmi to input 5. The receiver is connected to the tv via hdmi to input 2. Then the optical cable is connected to the receiver
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Receiver connected to the tv ?

What is connected into the receiver then

Is there a tv system in this equation , like a cable box , satellite connected to the receiver ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, no cable box, just the Xbox and the apps from the tv
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The optical out from the tv is going to the input on the receiver
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k then I take it that the HDMI 2 connect is for the ARC and sound from the apps ?

Why do you have that HDMI 2 connection ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, the hemisphere is just to get the display from the receiver for settings. It doesn't have ARC on the receiver
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hdmi
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

I see , no problem .

Have you considered connecting the x-box directly into the AV511 instead of the tv ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried that and couldn't get sound either
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

I can tell you it would be the best way and now I`m starting to wonder if that av511 is working .

Can you get any sound out of it , like its own radio/tuner ?

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

You could also try this ;

Your Xbox will have an optical audio out and there will be sound there at all time so try to connect your optical cable there to see if you get sound coming through .

By the way , if this is a new optical cable , make sure there are no protective rubber tips on the ends and remove them if so .

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Right now you need to have that 511 working and again the HDMI connect would be the way to go

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

If there is any surround coming out of the xbox then its optical out or the hdmi connect would be the way to go .

The TV's optical out will give you only PCM 2 channels , never true surround when the source is HDMI

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Try all the HDMI inputs on the 511 if needed

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

By the way your optical inputs are assigned by default to GAME for optical 1 and TV/CD for optical 2 so you need to set the 511 input /source there to get sound from the optical

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

So to resume this ;

First make sure the 511 will give sound by testing it with something like its own radio or a dvd/cd player perhaps .

Once that is done try again the x-box into the HDMI inputs , there has to be a way to make that work unless the 511 hdmi inputs are defective , if you can see and hear the x-box when connected directly to the TV's hdmi inputs then you know it is working .

Lastly try to use the optical out of the x-box first if nothing comes through with hdmi then try the tv again.

The key here is to get sound , any sound out of the 511 first .

Let me know if you need further help with this and If that answers your questions please do not forget to rate by clicking on the 5-star icon at the top, then click on Submit so i get paid for my time helping you or you can use the reply button before or after rating if you have other questions , thank you .